Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Tough Long Run

Daily Quote: "You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face." --Gatorade

Early AM (2:15 a.m.): Warm up, 10 minutes on stationary cycle. Weight circuit training. Cool down, 10 minutes on elliptical. I was exhausted from working last night, not because it was busy, but because it was slow and walked 90 minutes around the cab staging otherwise known as "the pit."

Today the temperature reached 83 degrees, which tied the high temperature for this date! Needless to say, I had a tough time with today's 20-miler due to a late start and running hot!

Long Run. (after sleeping seven hours)
20 miles. Time, 3:11. Overall pace, 9:33 minute miles. 10:30 a.m., Sunny 77-81 degrees, Winds calm, SW at 5 mph. Out and back from home to Bonanza/H St that traverses the New Las Vegas Marathon Route. Last mile at marathon pace (8:00 minute mile). Average heart rate 148 bpm. Cardiac drift 166 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm.) My intentions was to run a 22-miler, but I started later than I should, and decided to run my usual 20-miler. I did accomplish seven hours of sleep, nevertheless, must run earlier to avoid the heat. I brought plenty of fluids, still a tough workout as I struggled through the last mile's marathon pace.

Wore my new Garmin Forerunner 305 for the first time and it worked like a charm!! Since I've owned a Garmin 205 previously (doesn't have the heart rate monitor like the 305's model), the learning curve is much easier; I still need to set the alarm settings for my heart rate perimeters.