Daily Quote: "Running short repetitions quickly but with relaxed form --strideouts--may train your muscles to eliminate unnecessary movements and maintain control at fast speeds. These adaptations may translate to improved economy at marathon pace. Along with improved running form, you'll gain power in your legs and trunk that may also contribute to improved running economy." --Pfitzinger/Douglas, "Advanced Marathoning," pg 30.
Early AM (after work, 2:15 a.m.) Warm up, 10 minutes on stationary cycle. Weight circuit training. Cool down, 10 minutes on elliptical. Increased weights on shoulder press by five pounds. Cutback in mileage really helps with my weight training, I seem to have more energy and strength today.
Today is General Aerobic + Speed.
8 miles with 8x100 meter strides. Time, 1:11. Overall pace, 8:59 minute miles. Out and back to Brettney Mews. 9:30 a.m., Partly Cloudy, 59-61 degrees, Wind NNE at 10 mph. Average heart rate: 148 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 170 bpm. Left ankle felt a little sore at the end of 8 strides, but was able to finish strongly with good form.
During the strides I avoid clenching my fists, lifting my shoulders, tightening my neck muscles, in general I strive to concentrate on good form.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Just about all of Jack Daniel's workouts in his book, "The Jack Daniel's Running Formula" includes strides.
Good workout today Bruce! I really hope you do well in the "New Las Vegas Marathon" and get your chance to move up into the A wave at Boston. You deserve it!
_Joe
Post a Comment