Friday, November 30, 2007

LV Marathon Quality of Life Expo

Daily Quote: "In the past, automobiles shared the road with runners on some portions of the course. And in others there were zones where drivers could cross. For those ready to complain, Swift said, 'Half a day out of our year is not the end of the world.'" --Ron Swift, Las Vegas Review Journal, December 1, 2007.

Today is a Recovery Run + Speed
5 miles. Time, 45 minutes. Overall pace, 9:00 minute miles. 8:30 a.m. Out and back to Burlwood and Torrey Pines that partially traverses the marathon route. Cloudy, 50 degrees, wind SW at 8 mph, plus rain!! Ran 8 x 100 meter strides after the first mile with 2 minutes easy running between strides. During the last two miles caught pouring rain and am happy to say that my Garmin still worked perfectly! Average heart rate: 152 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 174 bpm. (note, my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm)This is my last training run before the marathon!! I'm so nervous about Sunday I already have butterflies and a headache.

After my run visited the "Zappos.com Las Vegas Marathon Quality of Life Expo" and to pick up my bib number (bib number is #811) Now that Zappos is the new sponsor, the expo is HUGE! I love race expos, it's a little like Halloween and Christmas combined! Walked among the many booths with products especially for runners (and odd booths like the Metro Police recruiting station) with many free handouts, I felt like saying "trick or treat" throughout the gimme Expo tour! I bought several items at fantastic prices, a long sleeve coolmax singlet for $10, small bags of Sport beans for .99 cents, two pairs of coolmax socks for $4.99, and last, but not least, a pair of ASICS GT 2120 for $39.99!!! It's already Christmas for me!

The all important weather forecast is,
Tonight:
Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph in the evening...with locally stronger gusts possible in the western foothills.
Sunday:
Sunny. Highs in the mid 50s. Light wind.

Tomorrow I won't be posting on this blog as I'll be entertaining the wife and spending most of the day relaxing. I should have my marathon report finished on Monday.

No comments: