Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Checker Cab Shift Bid

Daily Quote: And this long-distance running lark is the best of all, because it makes me think so good that I learn things even better than when I'm on my bed at night." --Alan Sillitoe, "The Loneliness of the Long-distance Runner."

Today is "Shift Bid!" Every six months I have to arrive at Checker Cab Company as to bid on the following, shift, days-off, and cab. Shift bids start at 6:00 a.m. (again, I only managed two hours of sleep!!) and had bid on the exact same shift (2 pm - 2 am) same days off (Saturday and Sunday) and the same cab (Cab 3925, 2007 Ford Crown Victoria). The only thing that's different this bid is my new seniority number, I WAS #38, but now my seniority number #36! This means out of 845 Checker Cab drivers I'm ranked 36, which is due to my 17 years of driving for Checker Cab Company. Discovered from the Day Supervisor that the two missing drivers above me had died from heart attacks. Yup, when the seniority numbers gets this low you'll either leave the company by retirement or a pine box.

Today is a easy recovery/taper run.
5 miles. Time, 47 minutes. Pace: 9:24 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines, which is part of the "2007 New Las Vegas Marathon" course. Time 10:00 a.m. Partly Cloudy, 55 degrees, Wind NNE at 12 mph. Average heart rate 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 149 bpm. Felt tired after shift bid and breakfast, therefore just an easy five miler today. Taking a long nap before work. I'm so very tired.

No comments: