Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Last Long Run Before Marathon!

Daily Quote: "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

Today is my last Long Run before the "2007 New Las Vegas Marathon" on December 2nd. I had originally planned a 22-miler as the last Long Run, but since my body is still tired and probably a bit overtrained, decided on a 17-miler instead. This week has been a cutback in mileage due to overtraining symptoms, but that's o.k., I'll just consider this part of a three week marathon taper.

Long Run.
17 miles. Time, 2:32. Overall Pace: 8:59 minute miles. Out and back to Martin Luther King Blvd (traverses the northern route of the New Las Vegas Marathon). The last three miles was at marathon pace of 8:00 minutes per mile. Average heart rate 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift 166 bpm. (Note: maximum heart rate is 191 bpm.) Left ankle slightly sore and will ice and pamper the ankle for the next two days.

Last year's marathon training I accomplished three 20+ Long Runs. This year's I had went crazy and ran six 20+ Long Runs! The Long Runs progressed like this: 17, 20, 18, 20, 18, 16, 20, 20, 21, 18, 20, 17. My hopes are that I haven't peaked in my training too early and that I'll arrive on the starting line healthy, fit and ready to PR!

The next two days I'll spend on recovery as to prepare for Saturday's 10k Turkey Trot Race.

No comments: