Friday, November 16, 2007

Day Before Tune-Up 10k Race

Daily Quote: "Tune-up races serve two purposes. First, they provide feedback on our fitness, reducing an element of uncertainty about your marathon preparation. Second, they make you go through the nerves of racing, helping to reduce anxiety in the last few days and hours before the marathon. When you're at your limit in the marathon, feeling tired, wondering whether you can hang on even though there are still 10 miles to go, it helps to have been trhough the demands of racing at shorter distances. Even though the ultimate test (the marathon) is crueler, the preparation gained from shorter races is priceless." Pfitzinger/Douglas, "Advanced Marathoning," pg 36.

Today is my last taper run before the "27th Annual Turkey Trot 10k Race!"
6 miles, Time, 58 minutes. Overall pace, 9:40 minute miles. Out and back to Sun Coast Hotel and Casino, 9:30 a.m., Sunny, 60 degrees, no wind. Average heart rate: 140. Cardiac Drift, 149 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm.) Slow and easy run, no aches or pain. I'm already getting butterflies for tomorrow's race!

I would normally run Torrey Pines Road that partially covers the New Las Vegas Marathon course, but noticed the street is closed as the City of Las Vegas is paving the road with new asphalt! A nice new smooth surface for us marathoners! I could have ran on Torrey Pines concrete sidewalk, which is a harder and an uneven surface; opted to run up Alta Road to Sun Coast Hotel instead. Alta Road is the main bicycle route to Red Rock Canyon and crosses many busy intersections and has a steady 4% grade, something I should avoid for an easy taper...decided it wouldn't be a problem if I ran Alta Road very slowly.

I'll be leaving for work early today as to pick up my race packet. I have to work until 2:00 a.m. and the 10k race starts at 6:00 a.m., it going to be tough to race with so little sleep; wish I could take the time off from work, unfortunately we need the money badly.

No comments: