Sunday, November 4, 2007

To Turkey Trot or Not?

Daily Quote: "To win without risk is to triumph without glory."
-Pierre Cornielle

Should I run the Turkey Trot 10k this year? In the past I wouldn't even consider running the Turkey Trot as it was always in the middle of my taper for the "New Las Vegas Marathon." This year is different, as I'm experimenting with a two week taper AND the Turkey Trot is being held the Saturday before Thanksgiving, November 17th. I'll wait until the Friday before the race to decide whether or not I'll run.

Today is a Medium-Long Run.
15 miles. Time, 2:15. Overall Pace, 9:00 minute miles. The last two miles was at Marathon Pace, 8:00 minute miles. Out and back from home to Craig Road that covers five miles of the northern section "New Las Vegas Marathon" course. 7:30 a.m.! Sunny, 60-69 degrees, Wind SW at 10 mph. Average heart rate: 140 bpm. Cardiac drift: 153 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm). No aches nor pain.

Went to bed early last night so I can awake earlier...day light savings time change and temperature to reach 83 degrees today and didn't want to fight the heat. Difficult to maintain pace without my trusty Garmin, trying to calculate my marathon pace during the last two miles wasn't easy either. My fingers will do the walking through the Yellow Pages for a Garmin Forerunner 305 this week.

Our bowling team, "One Wonders" won three games out of four (won two games and pins overall) We're now in second place in the Gorman Bishop Bowling League. My bowling average went up again, it's now 160! The team that didn't show up a couple of weeks ago still needs to make up those games, therefore we could still crawl back to first place during the week.

2 comments:

Nat said...

Do Turkey Trot. Will be good speed workout and will get you in the racing mindframe.

robison52 said...

Thanks Nat! I'll break my tradition of a three week taper (taking two weeks) and not racing just before the marathon...the Turkey Trot 10k should remind my body what real speed feels like!