Daily Quote: "We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers
I awoke too late and the temperature was already at 91 degrees fahrenheit, therefore I ran on the dreadmill at my gym 24 Hour Fitness, which I had planned on visiting anyway for my weight lifting program. I ran before lifting weights, but will not do it in that sequence again as I was a big sweaty mess when I hit the weights. In the future I'll either do weights first, or bring another set of gym clothes for weight lifting.
Today is another Recovery Run...only one more week of recovery from the Salt Lake City Half Marathon!
6 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set a 1% Grade, all at 6.6 mph. No heart rate monitor. I forgot how sweaty I would get running inside! Felt no aches nor pain, but was extremely tired after I did my weight training program. First attempt at doing 2 sets (last week did 1 set) with 10 repetition to exhaustion. My upper body will be sore tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Bruce,
If you decide to run after weights, be sure to do something aerobic that brings your heart rate up prior to hitting the weights. I use the elliptical for about 5 or 6 minutes. Also only rest about 45 seconds to one minute between sets to keep your HR up, so you'll be sure to get a good muscle 'pump'. The increased circulation will also help whisk away the lactic acid and prevent the buildup that causes DOMS.
Oh, and btw, it's the second day after that DOMS puts me down. Keep going though, you should only experience severe DOMS for a couple of weeks. Racked with pain for two weeks... keeps me motivated to keep lifting after I'm finally over that period. :)
Thanks Robert! I'm considering on doing weights when I return home from work at 2:00 a.m. as to seperate farther from the running and be able to place more emphasis on weights. Before I leave for work will be the time I run. I rather expected to get DOMS as I'm giving my training my all. I have been giving myself 45 seconds between sets and about one minute between different stations...somewhat of a circuit workout.
Sounds like a good plan. Don't burnout before you start seeing the results. At your size, you probably won't really notice the scale change much at all, but your belt might loosen up or come in a notch as the lighter fat turns to heavier muscle. That's what happened to me. A month or so later I noticed that doors opened easier, and everyday objects became easier to handle and I started noticing the 'V'. Three months into it and I could feel my shirts fit better, and I would occasionally bump my shoulders into the door frames as I wasn't used to being 2 inches wider. :). Being as aerobic as you are, those are about all you can expect at the beginning... oh yeah, and you can stand taller knowing you are probably as dedicated to being physically fit as anyone could be.
I doubt I'll burn out, I'm just too stubborn to quit...more likely I'll hurt myself first! Must take my own advice to beginner runners, baby steps-baby steps.
Post a Comment