Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Searching for a New Goal

Daily Quote: "Marathoning is like cutting yourself unexpectedly. You dip into the pain so gradually that the damage is done before you are aware of it. Unfortunately, when awareness comes, it is excruciating." --John Farrington, Australian marathoner

Since I won't be racing the "Come Run in the Sun 10k" race this Saturday morning as I'll be helping Grandma Cady move to her new apartment, I've started looking for another race. The earliest race is NEXT Monday, "The Ronald McDonald Run for The House 5k!" It's not a 10k race, but it is a race. Two possible problems, I'll be too sore from moving furniture, and my wife has that Memorial Day off, she might not be thrilled I won't be home with her (I have to work Memorial Day from 2:00 pm - 2:00 am). I might wish to consider just racing in one of those regular "Las Vegas Track Club's Low Key Fun Runs" that's held every Saturday in June. Or, I could have my Spring racing season finished and start my Summer base building. Decisions, decisions.

Today is a Recovery Run.
6 miles. Time, 1:00. Pace, 10 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill on the cardio training mode where the elevation automatically changes to keep my heart rate at a constant 144 bpm. Elevation: 3.2 - 1.0 grades. (since my average heart rate was 144 bpm, and cardiac drift was also 144 bpm, in the future I won't mention cardiac drift when I'm in cardio mode) My ankles are adjusting to the constant elevation change as I didn't have any aches nor soreness today. I had a sharp big toe nail that tore a nice little hole in my Thorlo running sock, no big loss as I've been running in those socks for at least two years!

2 comments:

Robert said...

Question Bruce,
If you were going to run the "Come Run in the Sun 10k" race, would your body be prepared to kick out 6 miles in that kind of heat? Are we talking 90-100 degrees for almost an hour here... after training only in nice weather or indoors? Just curious what you've done in the past to prepare for that.

robison52 said...

Howdy Robert!
I'm a cab driver and we have a waiting area at the airport for cabs, sometimes we'll wait for over 30 minutes for a fare...In the heat of summer when it's over 100 degrees I would walk loops around the airport holding area as to acclimate to the heat and burn off some calories. (I can't run loops around the holding area as I'm not dressed appropriately for running and I would be a smelly, sweaty mess for my customers)