Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

Daily Quote: ""In a country where only men are encouraged, one must be one's own inspiration."-- Tegla Loroupe, Kenya, 1994 New York City Marathon champion

Today is Mother's Day and will be taking my wife and her daughter, Lisa, to see the movie, "Georgia Rule," as well as a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant. I need to remind myself not to pig out at the restaurant! As a precaution I'm eating a little something before I leave home for the movie.

This early morning ran a Recovery Run.
6 miles. Time, 54 minutes. Pace, 9:06 minute miles. 24hr Fitness Club, Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade, all mileage at 6.6 mph. No heart rate monitor. Feeling sluggish this morning, probably due to yesterday's vigorous interval workout.

I also lifted weights before my run and added five pounds to the following exercises: chest press, bicep curl, triceps, and lat pull down. I've been doing these exercises to exhaustion, but my friend, Boscho, recommended that I don't push to exhaustion as I could get injured, nevertheless, I feel that I can manage the extra five pounds, but will be cautious about pushing myself too hard. The shoulder press is still my toughest exercise and haven't added any additional weight to that exercise for the last two weeks, maybe next week my shoulders will be stronger as to increase the weight by five pounds?

5 comments:

Robert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert said...

Hi Bruce,
I try to remember that exhaustion and failure are two different things. My goal is to still have control over the muscles not involved in the exercise, and wait long enough between sets to handle the weight properly (ie. lifting it off the floor, etc.). Using a slow motion (both directions), and a full range of motion, I can tell when my muscles are about to fail, and prepare for that. Unless you are uncomfortable handling the weight before doing the exercise, slow and steady motion should greatly reduce the chance of injury when bodybuilding. Effective bodybuilding requires you train each muscle to failure, as the failure is what recruits and activates dormant muscle cells situated next to the failed ones. Hope this helps.

Allen said...

Ok, Bruce, level with us. How much did you pig out? :)

robison52 said...

Howdy Robert! I'll be more careful in the future as not to reach failure, but exhaustion, I have been rushing some exercises and will definitely slow myself down. I've been pretty tired lately, probably due to the sharpening speed work with the combination of strength building, but once the racing season is over I'll be placing more emphasis on base building, which is slower, but longer miles, and the strength building won't be so fatiguing.

robison52 said...

Howdy Allen! Lisa had to leave soon after the movie, therefore we never made it to a fancy restaurant. I did pig out during the movie, ate tons of popcorn and two cartons of Dibs ice cream. Oh well, I don't pig out everyday and having one "cheat day" isn't that bad.