Daily Quote: "I like running because it's a challenge. If you run hard, there's the pain - and you've got to work your way through the pain. You know, lately it seems all you hear is? Don't overdo it' and? Don't push yourself.' Well, I think that's a lot of bull. If you push the human body, it will respond." - Bob Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers general manager, NHL Hall of Fame.
Today I'll be changing my workout schedule. I've decided to do weight training AFTER work and doing my running BEFORE work. This should allow more time for my body to recover from the weights and/or running. Who knows, maybe exercising twice a day will help me burn more calories too. This schedule change is just an experiment, if I find it's too tough to do a weight training workout after driving a cab for 12 hours, I'll return to doing both weights and running at the same time.
Also, my friend/coach Robert gave me the excellent suggestion of doing a little cardio before lifting weights, which was something I wasn't doing, I was jumping into my weight training immediately after dressing. I plan on doing about 10 minutes on the stationary bike before my workout early tomorrow morning.
I've read and heard so many statements about how weight training isn't good for runners due to the extra bulk and the additional weight it causes, such as "...if a runner wants to be a better runner, forget the weights, he should just run more miles," that I was occasionally doubting my current workout routine. Therefore it's nice to read a nice encouraging statement in this month's Runners World Magazine (June 2007, pg 52) that shows I'm on the right track. The following is the quote from Judi Ketteler:
"Setting PRs requires more than leg power. A strong upper body helps you process oxygen more efficiently, which allows you to run faster with less effort, Mastrangelo says, Adding upper body work to your routine will also help you maintain your form in the late stages of a race when your form deteriorates." End of Quote.
I'm still recovering from the Salt Lake City Half Marathon, therefore another Recovery Run today.
6 miles. Time, 1:00. Pace, 10 minute miles. Out and back on Lanning Route. Sunny, 77 degrees, Windy!! Winds SW to 30-35 mph, with gusts up to 50 mph. A real struggle just trying to run upright today, I felt like a ship in a bottle...needless to say I ran very slowly. I should have ran on the treadmill today as I inhaled a substantial amount of dust, but I wanted to run outside as much as possible before the hot days of Summer. Only a few more recovery days and I'll be back to slowly adding mileage and incorporating some speed work and hill training...not a moment too soon as all these recovery runs are getting tiresome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment