Daily Quote: "We have to move beyond thinking about food as the primary determinant of body weight, and see it as the fuel that enables us to achieve our goals. I can't stand the old adage that you are what you eat. You're NOT what you eat, you're a combination of the things you eat, do, think, believe, and feel." --Chris Carmichael. from "Food for Fitness" pg 8.
I started this morning at 2:15 a.m. when after work I pushed my tired and exhausted body to 24 Hr Fitness for a weight training workout. I did my 10 minutes of stationary biking, than did 2 sets of 10 reps of upper body work. I have to admit, when I workout this early nobody else is in the gym and I can go through the stations pretty quickly! The whole workout took only 20 minutes!! Once finished I returned home, answered e-mails, posted on forum sites and went to bed without my usual munching! I slept long and hard awaking at 10:00 a.m. for my run. Famished, I gobbled down my usual Cheerios with bananas and a glass of orange juice.
This late morning is a Recovery Run as I'm still doing my 13 day half-marathon recovery program that ends this Sunday...my bowling league also ends this Sunday too! I'm anxious to get started on adding mileage and speedwork for the upcoming "Come Run in the Sun 10K Race!!"
6 miles. Time, 57 minutes. Pace, 9:30 minute miles. Out and back on Lanning Route. Partly cloudy, 72 degrees, Wind variable at 3 mph! Big difference from yesterday's wind storm!! Wore my Polar Heart Rate Monitor today, my average heart rate was 147 bpm (65% of maximum heart rate). Body is tired, undoubtedly my doing weight training this early morning is taking its toll.
I'll continue this split workout of weight lifting after work in the wee morning hours and running after I awake. I should give myself at least a week to experiment with this schedule and see if it works for me. Tonight is going to be tough at work, I'm going to work tired and beat, hopefully I won't be lifting very much heavy luggage!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Bruce,
When you come into the gym at 2:15 in the morning, do the employees give you a snarly "YOU'RE the reason we have to work in the middle of night" look???
Hi Bruce,
If you're bent on working out every day, the experts will suggest you split your body up to give your muscles a rest/build day. If you are working out 4 or 6 days a week, I would split my body up at the waist, with lower back being part of your legs day, abdominals every day, and have your upper body land on your first weekend day or a day you can spend more time on it. Your legs get exercise running every day, but you should still weight train them as you don't use all of your leg muscles for running, you don't get full rnge of motion with running, and they are the bigger ones that will help you burn calories all day long. If you lift 5 days a week, still split your body the same, but put a small group of muscles, like lower back, lats and glutes on the day after your big upper body/chest/arms day, or the day after your rest day. Make sense? Your muscles need time to build, or you will just be spinning your wheels in the early stages. The idea here is to get your muscles developed so they will burn the calories automatically... reducing the need to work out 6 days a week to burn the fat. It's like investing money... the first part is the hardest, but after you have some working for you... it gets easier and easier. :) Keep going buddy!
Howdy Angie! Only two employees in the whole gym, I think I startled the girl at the check-in counter, she was absorbed in a "Tattler" magazine, when I bounced through...no snarly looks, but tired eyes.
Howdy Robert! Your recommended lifting schedule does make sense and will incorporate the split routines once my legs are fully recovered from racing...I'll be doing my last race of the season soon, and then will concentrate on building a large base of running miles as well as going gung-ho on strength training during the summer months. Currently I'm only doing abdominals every other day, will start doing them daily now. I'm looking forward to when this weight lifting gets easier!!! Thank you coach!
Post a Comment