Friday, May 18, 2007

St. George Road Trip

Daily Quote: "Fear is the strongest driving-force in competition. Not fear of one's opponent, but of the skill and high standard which he represents; fear, too, of not acquitting oneself well. In the achievement of greater performances, of beating formidable rivals, the athlete defeats fear and conquers himself." --Frank Stampfl

Tomorrow Suzie and I are leaving Las Vegas to visit St. George; rather sudden road trip as my wife overheard a co-worker this week bragging about going to St. George for a weekend vacation...became jealous as she hasn't been to St. George in nine years! It'll be nice to visit St. George again as I might be able to squeeze in a trail run!

After work in the early morning hours, I accomplished another weight training session (with a 10 minute stationary bike warm up.) The weights are starting to become a habit, I'm not even thinking about how tired I am, I just set myself on auto-pilot and get it done.

Today is a Medium Long Run.
10 miles. Time 1:40 minutes. Pace, 10 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at Cardio Training setting where the elevation changes to keep my heart rate below 145 bpm. Speed: 6 mph. Elevation: 3.3 - 1.8 grade. Average heart rate 144 bpm, with a cardiac drift of 145 bpm. This is my longest run since the Salt Lake City Half Marathon. Both ankles are a little sore due to the elevation constantly changing on the treadmill, probably should have eased into these long cardio-training treadmill workouts. Oh well, I have this weekend to get off the treadmill!!

1 comment:

Allen said...

Enjoy your visit! Won't be quite as hot as Vegas, but still hot. It's not too far to drive, but take a jaunt up to Pine Valley and enjoy the cool mountains. I think the St. George Marathon starts up there.