Daily Quote: "The marathon is all about energy management. I had planned to run it like a track race with strategic surges to blow up my competitors by putting them into oxygen debt, so that is the way I prepared." --Frank Shorter
Today is "Doubles" when I run twice in one day.
Early AM, 2:15 a.m. Recovery Run.
6 miles. Time, 56 minutes. Pace, 9:20 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines (partly traverses the New Las Vegas Marathon route.) 91 degrees with 5 mph wind at 2:15 a.m.!! Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac drift, 150 bpm. This is the first time I've tried running the roads after work, rather peaceful with little traffic and no noise. As long as I don't run into a pack of stray dogs I should be o.k. to continue running at this time of night.
Later AM, after sleeping 6 1/2 hours. Recovery Run.
5 miles. Time, 47:35. Pace, 9:31 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill on the cardio training mode setting where the elevation automatically changes to keep my heart rate at a constant 144 bpm (75% of maximum heart rate). Treadmill speed set at 6.3 mph. Elevation changes: 2.2 - 2.5 grades. Today's music companion is Prince's "Purple Rain" CD. After run I did full body weight circuit training and then cool down with ten minutes on the stationary cycle. Doing weight lifting after I awake appears the best strategy as I have abundant energy, rather than doing weights after driving a cab for 12-hours, natch!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Bruce,
It looks like you are making good progress, and I suspect that outdoor training will make you stronger (in subtle ways) than before. I'll be watching to see what dividends you get.
Howdy Wayne, I'm a little ahead of my training from last year and should do well...last year I was also forced to take a 5 1/2 week taper due to surgery and replacing a new jaw bone. My main objective this year is to get to the starting line healthy and my training should take care of the rest.
Post a Comment