Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Disappointing Tempo Run

Daily Quote: "In my opinion, there's too much emphasis on just the long run in preparing for the marathon." --Bill Rodgers

Today is a Tempo Run.
8 miles. Time, 1:10. Overall Pace, 8:45. Life Fitness Treadmill. Warm up: 2 miles @ 6.3 mph & 1% grade. Tempo: 4 miles @ 7.5 mph (marathon pace of 8:00 minute miles.) & 2% grade. Cool down: 2 miles @ 6.3 mph & 1% grade. Average heart rate: 149 bpm. Cardiac drift: 162 bpm.

My intention today was to run a six mile Tempo Run at marathon pace, which is 8:00 minute miles; I had to shut down the tempo run after four miles as both ankles were complaining loudly, not a sharp pain, but a relentless ache. Once I slowed down to an easy speed of 6.3 mph with a 1% grade, my ankles were fine. I'm guessing that the 2% grade, plus not having done speed work for two weeks, put undo pressure on my ankles. I'm rather disappointed...if I'm having ankle problems with running only four miles at marathon pace, what am I going to do when I run 26.2 miles? I shouldn't be too hard on myself, as I still have plenty of time to train for the "New Las Vegas Marathon" on December 2nd.

As a precaution, I'm using RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) therapy on my ankles today. Tomorrow was a scheduled Recovery Day with doubles, but I'm not going to do doubles as I plan on pampering my ankles , just one short Recovery Run should be o.k.

Next week I'll attempt to run a five mile Tempo Run at marathon pace as I strive to nudge up my marathon pace mileage. I'll still listen to my body and will change the workout if necessary.

No comments: