Friday, September 21, 2007

Last Long Run on Treadmill!

Daily Quotes: "Sport is not about being wrapped up in cotton wool. Sport as about adapting to the unexpected and being able to modify plans at the last minute. Sport, like all life, is about taking risks." -- Sir Roger Bannister

Today is my last long run on the treadmill, from now until the marathon all my runs, with the exception of speed work, will be on the roads. I'm fortunate to live only two blocks from Torrey Pines Road, which is part of the "New Las Vegas Marathon" course. I plan on doing most of my runs out and back on the marathon course as to acclimate myself to the road conditions.

Long Run.
20 miles. Time: 2:57. Overall Pace: 8:51 minutes per mile. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% Grade. First six miles at 6.6 mph., next six miles at 6.7 mph. another six miles at 6.8 mph, the last two miles at marathon pace of 7.5 mph. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm) Average heart rate during run: 155 bpm. Cardiac drift: 171 bpm. No major aches nor pain, but mentally I'm burned out on the treadmill and looking forward to doing my Long Runs on the roads again.

Next week I may lower the volume (miles) and the pace (speed) of my Long Run as to adjust to running on the hard and uneven surfaces of the roads. I'm sure I'll be fine as my short Recovery Runs and Medium Long Runs have been on the roads with no problems.

No comments: