Daily Quote: "The secret to successful marathon training and half marathon training lies within staying supremely motivated, training smart & safe, and maintaining proper nutrition." --Brad Broughman
Today is the Long Run, Progressive.
18 miles. Time, 2:41. Overall pace, 8:56 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% Grade. 6 miles @ 6.7 mph, 6 miles @ 6.8 mph, 6 miles @ 6.9 mph. Average heart rate: 157 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 177 bpm.
My intention today was to run 20 miles, but around 16 miles my heart rate increased too high, strived to relax, concentrate on form, and continue running, which was successful for awhile...but finally decided at 18 miles that it would be prudent to stop as my running form was deteriorating and heart rate was still too high. I'm disappointed with not reaching today's 20 mile goal, but satisfied I did my best and didn't continue further as to injure myself. I'll try the progressive 20 miler again next week. If I don't improve on my performance (heart rate too high and poor running form), I may have to adjust my 3:30 marathon goal for a slower result.
Last year I was very successful in the "New Las Vegas Marathon," due to my progressive Long Runs, which I learned from reading Pete Pfitzinger's "Advanced Marathoning" where the early part of my long run was 20% slower than goal pace, and the latter part was 10% slower than goal pace. The following is Pfitzinger's comment on pg 24:
"Your long runs should be run 10 to 20 percent slower than your goal marathon race pace. If you use a heart monitor, your long run pace should be in the range of 73 to 83 percent of maximal heart rate, or 65 to 78 percent of your heart rate reserve. This will ensure that you're running with a similar posture and are using similar muscle patterns as when you run at marathon pace. If you do long runs much slower than this, you risk being unprepared for the marathon. Slow long runs reinforce poor running style and do a poor job of simulating the demands of the marathon. If you run long runs too fast, of course, you risk leaving your marathon performance out on your training loops because you'll be too tired for your other important training sessions." End of Quote.
I hope today's incomplete long run is not due to my reaching for a marathon goal that's too fast, but due to my cold symptoms this week and lack of proper rest. Next week I should be better rested with no cold symptoms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment