Friday, June 1, 2007

Weightlifting

Daily Quote: "This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my (!@#$%^&*) six hours a day. What are you on?"-- Lance Armstrong

I've started lifting weights on April 26th therefore my weights are rather modest, nevertheless, "Easy Runner" requested more information on my current weightlifting program, therefore here it is:

This early morning after work (2:15 a.m.) I headed to 24 Hour Fitness with the primary goal of lifting weights. My current lifting schedule has changed from every other day to lifting weights on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with weekends off. I had originally started weightlifing with free weights, but have been doing circuit training machines for the last two weeks as I believe it's more beneficial with my primary exercise/sport of running...also not spending so much time setting up the free weights was a factor too. Anyway, once circuit training machine gains plateaus, I'll return to free weights.

The first order of business is a quick 10 minute cardio warmup on the Lifecycle.

I am now prepared for my circuit training that has its own separate area on the West side of the gym. The machines are set in a semi-circle and makes it much easier to quickly change machines. I've been striving to change machines in 45 seconds. I've just started doing lower body weights last week due to my body having enough stress from my racing (running) season, therefore I'm only doing one set at very light weights and will slowly add more weights to the leg portion of the circuit. The following is my circuit:

1. Abdominal Crunch. 3 sets of 15 reps on a incline board.
2. Leg Press. 1 set of 10 reps. Weight: 130 pounds.
3. Leg Extension. 1 set of 10 reps. Weight: 75 pounds.
4. Leg Curl. 1 set of 10 reps. Weight: 70 pounds.
5. Chest Press. 2 sets of 10 reps. Weight: 55 pounds.
6. Shoulder Press. 2 sets of 10 reps. Weight: 40 pounds
7. Tricep Extension. 2 sets of 10 reps. Weight: 45 pounds.
8. Lat Pull. 2 sets of 10 reps. Weight: 85 pounds.
9. Bicep Curl. 2 sets of 10 reps. Weight: 45 pounds.
10. Low Back Extension: 3 sets of 15 reps.

I then headed home and hit the sack.

This morning I awoke after sleeping seven hours and my morning pulse rate was 42 bpm, which is back to normal!

Today is a General Aerobic Run.
9 miles. Time, 1:22. Pace, 9:06 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% elevation, 6.6 mph. Average heart rate: 145 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 151 bpm.
Nice run, my body feels great with no aches nor pain. I tried to watch "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" as I was running, but became a little dizzy as I easily get overcome with motion sickness. Considering on buying new music for my CD player that'll make the treadmill running less boring.

3 comments:

vmJoe said...

Your circut looks good. When you go back to free weights you might want to think about doing some multiple joint exercises (dips, squats, deadlift, etc.) so you can work more of your muscles together (like when you run). They are harder exercises but you can do less of them. :) Plus they may give you a little bit of power for heart break hill. Circuts are a really good change of pace however and can help increase your muscle endurance.

robison52 said...

Howdy Easy Runner!
I'll definitely try those multiple joint exercises once I plateau or get bored with the Circuits. I'm still an infant with weights and striving for baby steps, baby steps. Thanks for the heads up!

vmJoe said...

Oh yeah, on more thing. Multiple joint exercises also help stabilize your core. That's an added benefit. Good job starting the weight program!