Friday, June 15, 2007

Marathon Pace???

Daily Quote: "Big occasions and races which have been eagerly anticipated almost to the point of dread, are where great deeds can be accomplished." --Jack Lovelock

Early AM: 10 minute warm up on the treadmill, followed by full body circuit training, then a 10 minute cool down on the elliptical.

It's time to start including some marathon pace miles into my training, but what should be my marathon pace? Last December I set a huge personal record in the New Las Vegas Marathon of 3:45:27 (8:35 minutes per mile pace) with tough 25-30 mph headwinds. Setting a new personal record in the marathon seems daunting, but possible considering the windy conditions of last year. I still have five months to train for the upcoming New Las Vegas Marathon and believe a goal of 3:30 is doable, therefore my marathon goal pace will be 8:00 minute miles (7.5 mph on the treadmill). Can I cut 35 seconds per mile for 26.2 miles? That's the big question!

Today is a Medium Long Run.
11 miles. Time, 1:40. Overall Pace, 9:05 minutes per mile. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% Grade. 10 miles @ 6.6 mph and last mile at 7.5 mph (marathon pace). Average heart rate: 148 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 155 bpm. Body felt comfortable, no aches nor pain. I'll gradually introduce more marathon pace miles into my training during the next five months.

No comments: