Monday, June 4, 2007

Recovery Week Plan

Daily Quote: "When I came to New York in 1978, I was a full-time school teacher and track runner, and determined to retire from competitive running. But winning the New York City Marathon kept me running for another decade." --Grete Waitz

My recovery week plan is to have four-week training blocks where I will increase my training each week during the first three weeks and use the fourth week for recovery.

This week is a recovery week. In this month's Running Times Magazine (July/August pg 14) Pfitzinger's "Lab Report" states the following:

"Recovery weeks are vital to your progress because they allow your body to adapt to the key workouts you put in during hard training weeks. A rule of thumb for recovery weeks is to run 60-70% of your previous week's mileage, without any intense or exhausting sessions."

Therefore, I won't be doing any tempo runs today, but a short General Aerobic Run instead.

General Aerobic Run.
8 miles. Time, 1:12. Pace, 9:06 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 6.6 mph with a 1% grade. Average heart rate: 149 bpm (77% of MHR). Cardiac drift 153 bpm. My heart rate has definitely shown an approvement from last's weeks General Aerobic Run, may wish to eventually increase speed to 6.7 mph. Body felt a pleasant tiredness, came home and took a much needed nap.

No comments: