Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Hardest Tempo Run

Daily Quote: "Ask yourself: "Can I give more?" The answer is usually: "Yes" --Paul Tergat


Went to the gym after work and warmed up with 10 minutes on the stationary bike and then did a complete circuit training workout, followed by a cool down of 10 minutes on the elliptical.

My last tempo run was on May 31st when I ran a tempo run of six miles at 7.7 mph (7:48 minute miles). Today my plan was to run six miles at 7.8 mph (7:42 minute miles) after I awake later in the morning.

Today is a Tempo Run.
7 miles. Time, 58 minutes. Overall pace, 8:17 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade. Warm up: 1 mile @ 6.0 mph. Tempo: 5 miles at 7.8 mph (7:42 minute miles). Cool down: 1 mile @ 6.0 mph. Average heart rate: 164 bpm (85% of maximum heart rate). Cardiac Drift during tempo: 184 bpm (97% of maximum heart rate.)

My body was begging to quit after four miles at tempo, but was able to force myself to run another mile. My plan was to run 6 tempo miles, but I'm satisfied with the 5 tempo miles as my heart rate was close to maximum and this is my fastest tempo run for this distance to date!!

Next week I'll attempt to run 6 tempo miles at 7.8 mph again...next time I'll be wearing my racing shoes and singlet rather than my stability training shoes and technical t-shirt...hopefully I'll do better next week.

No comments: