Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Perfectionism

Daily Quote: "A marathon is like life with its ups and downs, but once you've done it you feel that you can do anything." --unknown

Thank goodness for "Recovery Week!" I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and would continue to add mileage EVERY week if I didn't have a built-in plan to include a recovery week. My perfectionism in the past had killed whatever joy I felt from running...if everything wasn't perfect I felt the run was spoiled and/or ineffective. Now, everything has a broader context, if my running plan wasn't 100% doesn't matter, as I got something out of the run that was beneficial, if not, it was still relaxing and fun!!

I'm still reading the book, "Your Perfect Weight: the diet free weight loss method developed by the world's leading health magazine" and found the following enlightening (pg 98):

"'When I talk to patients about behavior-changing techniques, I tell them they won't do it right 100 percent of the time, but you don't have to,' insists Dr. Rankin. 'If, for example, you're now successfully managing your food temptations 20 percent of the time, and then you go up to 60 percent, it will make a difference. What you want to aim for is just enough of a change to make a significant improvement. The quickest way to kill off your chances of weight-loss success is to demand perfection of yourself."

Dr. Rankin is so correct, I'll continue to make improvements with my running and diet, but will not demand perfection from myself.

Today is a General Aerobic Run.
8 miles. Time, 1:12. Pace, 9:06 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 6.6 mph with a 1% grade. Average heart rate: 150 bpm (77% of MHR). Cardiac drift 154 bpm. Thank goodness I brought water! Nice sweaty run, the gym seemed hotter than usual, they're probably trying to conserve fuel energy. I wonder what the temperature was in the gym??

2 comments:

Belema said...

Thanks for that article ..perfectionism is my biggest reason for giving up.

robison52 said...

I know it's my biggest problem too, which is HUGE as I'm perfect in every way! :)