Sunday, June 17, 2007

Arthur Lydiard

Daily Quote: "What makes a person like Lydiard so special? While I think it’s always hard to put into words the ‘spirit’ that special people like Arthur have, the underlying trait seems to simply be optimism. Arthur was incredibly optimistic. He was a positive thinker. When it came to running success, he believed everyone could succeed if the proper training program was followed. And, training properly was something Arthur understood very well." --Greg McMillan. A tribute to Arthur Lydiard in Lydiard Foundation.

Most of what I know about long distance running is due to the teachings of Arthur Lydiard. I also hope to provide optimism to others, that they too can succeed in running...thank you Lydiard.

Today is the first day of my second week of the four week training block.

General Aerobic Run.
9 miles. Time, 1:21. Pace, 9:06 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 6.6 mph with a 1% grade. Average heart rate: 147 bpm (77% of MHR). Cardiac Drift: 154 bpm (81% of MHR).

4 comments:

vmJoe said...

Hey Bruce, I hate to show my ignorance here, did he write ant books on running? If so can you recommend a few? BTW -- How's the lifting coming? I haven't seen anything in your blog about your lifting yet.

-Joe

robison52 said...

Howdy Joe!
The following link will help you find several books by Lydiard and written about Lydiard:
http://www.hillrunner.com/lydiard/books.php

You'll find that Lydiard was more of a coach than a writer, but his principles of periodization, and running many base miles to build aerobic conditioning is as true today as it was in his hayday! He was the father of what's known in the 60's and 70's as "Jogging," before then only young athletes would run...anyone over 21 years old was considered over-the-hill.

robison52 said...

PPS Joe, I do weight circuit training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, sometimes I forget to post the training as it's very early in the morning and I'm half asleep! My weights are progressing well, but believe I would be five pounds lighter if I wasn't lifting. Nevertheless, I feel I'm healthier and stronger with the weight training.

Anonymous said...

Bruce,
Nick had a book by Lydiard back in 2003. We started running long slow distance, and by the end of the years I was within seconds of PR's in the 10k & 5k. He truely knew running.
"Keep on Running"....
See You....