Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Vacation Reading

Daily Quote: ""Know your limits and stay within them. Do what you think you can cope with." --Arthur Lydiard

All I need to do is survive work today and then I'm on vacation for 10 days!! Unfortunately, my wife's family doesn't have a computer therefore this blog site will be dark for a short time, I'll update my training during my vacation when I return. I'm so excited about my vacation! New York, ready or not, here I come.

Today I bought two books to read when I'm on vacation, "Pain," by Dan Middleman, and "The Secret," by Rhonda Byrne.

I bought the book, "Pain," as it was recommended in Runner's World Magazine several months ago. Needless to say, it's about running! The back jacket says, "Richard Dubin is a talented distance runner at a major southern university. "Pain" is the story of Richard's senior year as he proceeds with varying success through the year, from cross-country through the Olympic Trails, all the while trying to manage a seesawing relationship with a beautiful and fascinatingly unpredictable woman, 10 years his senior." The books sounds entertaining and very light reading, perfect for a vacation book!

I bought "The Secret" as my daughter, Lisa, made me aware of this relatively new book about positive thoughts...the bookseller told me they couldn't keep the book on the shelf last Christmas!! Gosh, I didn't realize I've fallen so far behind on popular culture's literature. The back jacket says, "As you learn The Secret, you will come to know who you really are. You will come to know the true magnificence that awaits you in life." I have a tendency to be a little cynical, but always tolerant to new thoughts and ideas (or old ideas in new packages)...will give the book a chance to enlighten me.

Today is a Tempo Run.
8 miles. Time, 1:06 minutes. Overall pace, 8:15 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade. Warm up: 1 mile @ 6.0 mph. Tempo: 6 miles at 7.8 mph (7:42 minute miles). Cool down: 1 mile @ 6.0 mph. Average heart rate: 165 bpm (85% of maximum heart rate). Cardiac Drift during tempo: 182bpm (95% of maximum heart rate.) No aches nor pain, but do feel a calm exhaustion, a most peaceful feeling. Ran stronger than last tempo workout with less effort, I'm adapting well to this speed, will continue this tempo speed for another month before increasing it to 7.9 mph. I probably won't be doing another treadmill tempo run until I return from vacation.

No comments: