Daily Quote: "No one will burn out doing aerobic running. It is too much anaerobic running, which the American scholastic athletic system tends to put young athletes through, that burns them out." --Arthur Lydiard
Every two years the Nevada Taxi Authority requires cab drivers to get a "Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination." It costs me $51.00 and the privilege to sit around for three hours getting probed, examined, and tested...it's government bureaucracy at its worst! Although I'm happy to admit that every two years I show a remarkable improvement in my systolic and diastolic blood pressure, a low pulse rate and lower weight! My eyes still have 20/20 vision and also have excellent hearing. I have no sugar, blood or drugs in my urine too. After all my testing the doctor comes in to hand me my documents for the taxi authority and asks me, "What's your secret for you being so healthy?" I tell him that I'm a runner...than we chatted for 10 minutes on how he (he's an MD who's 30 pounds overweight) can start a running program too. I find it amazing that doctors aren't train well in preventive medicine.
I rushed to the Taxi Cab Authority to renew my permit and discovered they were turning drivers away due to the computer being down. Oh well, I'll attempt to renew my permit early tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m..
I was able to squeeze in a Recovery Run before the Clinic opened:
6 miles. Time, 59:00. Pace, 9.50 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill on the cardio training mode setting where the elevation automatically changes to keep my heart rate at a constant 144 bpm (75% of maximum heart rate). Treadmill speed set at 6.1 mph. Elevation changes: 2.6 - 1.8 grades. New recovery speed of 6.1 mph works well as I'm not so much doing hill training as before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Congratulations on getting a "Go" for another two-years. I need to follow your example and get an appointment for my annual examination which is usually more like an 1 1/2 - year exam.
Howdy Allen! I'm getting to the age where I should get an examination EVERY year rather than just getting tested for the Taxicab Authority every two years. Plus, those doctors at the clinics tend to be new doctors who don't have a practice yet, don't know how reliable their prognosis!
Post a Comment