Daily Quote: "A calorie-counting approach to eating can be particularly helpful to marathoners who feel tired all the time. It can help you understand why you are tired. For example, if you skip breakfast and lunch (i.e., eat zero calories, zero fuel), you can clearly see why you lack energy for your afternoon training session. If you are weight-conscious, calorie information allows you to determine how much food you can eat for fuel yet still lose body fat." --from the excellent book, "Nancy Clark's Food Guide For Marathoners."
Today is the end of my Marathon Recovery Period, tomorrow I'll start building a large base for fall and winter races.
9:30 a.m. 9 miles. Time, 1:21. Pace, 9:04 minute miles. Sunny, 80-82 degrees, winds ENE at 7mph. Average heart rate: 146 bpm. Cardiac drift: 157 bpm. Carried one bottle of Lemon-lime Gatorade, which was sufficient for my needs. I need to research for better sun tan lotion that doesn't leak and sting my eyes. I wonder how much longer I can run in the heat before surrendering to the treadmill? Run went well, no aches nor pain, and I handled the heat fairly well, of course, the temperature will eventually get much hotter soon.
This afternoon will be taking my wife and step-daughter to the Gold Coast Hotel & Casino to celebrate Mother's Day at the buffet. I need to repeat saying: portion control, portion control. Later I hope to practice some bowling too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Bruce!
Looks like you're marathon recovery has gone really well! I'm very interested in your upcoming basebuilding phase and will be checking your blog religiously to learn, so when it's time for me to basebuild come October, after my races are complete, I'll have a better understanding of what to do:)
Regarding the sun tan lotion. My husband swears by Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock. It has 55 SPF, is ultra light, and has a clean feel. He inquired about it at the dermatologist one day a few years back, and they recommended this one. My husband plays tennis a lot, and used to hate having the sweat drip in his eyes. With this lotion, it no longer happens. I use it too, as do my children, and though I haven't used it yet for running, I'm guessing it won't drip in my eyes. Just trying to give suggestions in your search for a new sun tan lotion that won't drip!
Hope you have a great run today. Enjoy the basebuilding!!
Hi Bruce. I just popped over to see what was happening, and voila! I hear music! Great addition to your blog!
Regards
Tanya (aka snailrunner)
Howdy Joanne! Thanks for the tip on the suntan lotion...sounds perfect for me...I'll be heading out to Walgreens later to pick up a small tube!
My base building is the same as last year, which is four week training blocks, I'll gradually build up mileage for three weeks and the fourth week is a cut-back or recovery week.
My base building will end 16 weeks before December's "2008 Zappos Las Vegas Marathon" and then starts the Marathon Training Phase.
Howdy Tanya! Yup, music is a nice addition to my blog. I selected three songs that have been very motivating for me in the past...eventually will add more music in the future. I'm NOT a computer whiz, but was surprised how easy it was to add the music player!
Are you going to create a blog for your own training log too?
Post a Comment