Daily Quote: "Just as you put gas in your car before you take it for a drive, you should put 100 to 300 calories of carbohydrate-rich food in your body before you exercise. You need to train your intestinal track to tolerate this fuel, just as you are training your heart, lungs and muscles to go the distance. Granted, each marathoner is an experiment of one, and some marathoners can tolerate food better than others; that's why you need to experiment during training to determine what pre-exercise menu works best for you." --from the excellent book, "Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners."
The above quote reminds me of my eating blunders before the 2008 Boston Marathoner and how for breakfast I should have had my normal fuel of Cheerios, bananas, and skim milk...instead of the breakfast sausage croissant and orange juice. Also, the night before the race enjoyed my very first bowl of New England Clam Chowder. Funny thing is that I know better, but my mind was on "vacation mode" rather than preparing for a big race.
9:30 a.m. Recovery Run. 5 miles. Time 50:06. Pace, 10:01 minute per mile. Out and back on Jones Blvd. Clear, 64 degrees, Wind north at 22 mph with 40 mph gusts! Decided to run north on Jones Blvd as to face the wind so my run would be easier on the way back...it was a struggle as the wind was not only affecting my stride, but also my allergies...I was a sniveling mess with sore eyes. I know I'll be suffering allergies later as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Bruce. You asked me in a previous comment if I was going to start a blog-I just did today! It's here on the same website that you're on, I'm lastplacerunner, I think the full address is
http://lastplacerunner.blogspot.com. Thanks for inspiring me to try something new!
Regards
Tanya
Howdy Tanya! I've subscribed to your 'lastplacerunner" feed and will visit your blog regularly. My blog is more of a running log and very useful keeping me accountable on my runs! I also find other runners blogs very motivating and gets me out that door.
Post a Comment