Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Back-to-Back Workouts



Cab business was brisk last night as many tourists didn't even want to cross the street in the heat...after work I was just too tired to lift weights as planned for 2:15 a.m., instead decided to do double workouts when I awake...after my weight circuits I would do an easy 5 mile Recovery Run.

11:30 a.m. Warmup: 10 minutes of upright stationary cycle. 30 minutes of Weight Circuit Training. Went and to the lockers and put on my Polar Heart Rate Monitor, and then immediately proceeded to the treadmill.

Recovery Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 5 miles at 6.0 mph, which is a 10 minute per mile pace. Average heart rate: 139 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 144 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm). Run was very easy, a pace that I could run all day! I wasn't drained from the double workouts, probably because my Recovery Run was very slow, I might attempt to do back-to-back workouts again.

Weather is still strange, another hot day today, then tomorrow much cooler with a chance of showers! I hope to run another easy 5-miler on the roads tomorrow!! Must rush to work now....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Vegas Runner for your advice earlier. I have never been to Las Vegas and this will be my first taste of being in sultry hot desert this July. I have been to Phoenix but it was only in the 90s but never ran there. I think I would like to get a taste of what's it like to run in 110s degree for about five minutes and I will jump right into the pool. I think that will be my plan. I just don't know how in the world these runners can do the Badwater competition in Death Valley every summer.

The Running Bob said...

Damn, I usually feel like I'm pushing it at 159 BPM, but 190? I'd explode.

Charlie said...

Wow Bruce! Can't imagine 100+ temps in the middle of May. Thank goodness for treadmills!

Sounds like your recovery is coming along fine!

Good Job,
Charlie