Monday, May 19, 2008

Temperatures Hit Triple Digits

Daily Quote: "Don't go to the first table at the water stop. That's where all the rookies stop and, if it's a big race, it's going to be very congested. Keep running to one of the tables farther down. If there are tables on both sides of the course and the water station is crowded, go to a table on the left side. Since most people are right-handed, the tables on the right tend to be much more popular." --Christine Luff, from about.com

Yesterday and for the next several days Las Vegas will hit triple digits. Yesterday the temperature was 104 degrees, which broke the record set in 1920! Today will reach 105+ degrees and I'm now back on the treadmill. We don't usually see these temperatures until June, maybe global warming is a fact?!?

9:30 a.m. General Aerobic Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 9 miles. 6.4 mph (9:22 minute miles). Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 148 bpm. Longest run since the 2008 Boston Marathon! I was surprised I adjusted to the treadmill pace so easily after being on the roads for so long...a pleasant surprise! I forgot to bring my Sony Sport CD Player, which made for a very long run. My body felt fine, no aches nor pain. Many other runners were at the gym this morning escaping from Vegas' high temperatures.

LATE ADDITIONAL NEWS: Las Vegas, NV) -- You can expect another few days of triple digit temperatures in the Las Vegas Valley. The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning from noon until 7 today and Tuesday, thanks to a high pressure system. Highs are expected to reach between 105 and 107 in Las Vegas, with at least 110 degree temperatures expected for Lake Mead and Laughlin. Death Valley could reach up to 118 degrees. Because most people aren't yet used to high temperatures, the Weather Service urges you to stay out of the sun whenever possible and drink plenty of water to replenish fluids. The good news is that a cold front will hit the valley on Wednesday, bringing temperatures down to the 80's through Sunday.

I might be able to get more road running later during the week!!

6 comments:

Tanya said...

Hi Bruce, I feel for you with weather that hot! Our hot weather finally broke today, of course hot for us is in the high 80's..
Regards
Tanya

Allen said...

Wow! triple digits and a record temperature. Neat that you get to run on a day with a new temperature PB :(
Good thing you have your good friend, the mill, waiting for your company...

Unknown said...

Oh man !! I am from New Jersey and it is 43 degrees right now. Perfecto! I wish I could FedEx those 43 degrees to you down in Las Vegas. I will be in Las Vegas in July for the FIRST TIME. I plan to do some running. Suggestion for running in the heat??? or just stick to the treadmill at the hotel's gym?

robison52 said...

Howdy Ted, in the very early morning of July the temperatures are only in the upper 90's (Joke: but it's a dry heat). I would strongly recommend that you use the hotel's gym rather than attempting to run outside, especially when your body is not acclimated to the desert heat. I'm acclimated to the heat, but still prefer running on the treadmill when it's so dangerously hot...just too difficult to keep a good pace and stay hydrated. I'm envious of your perfect 43 degrees, but I get bragging rights during the Winter months!

LIrunner9 said...

Wow, that's HOT!! You be careful and bring plenty of liquid on those runs until you are inside on the treadmill watching tv enjoying (hopefully), the gyms air conditioning!!

robison52 said...

Howdy mom2beccanallie! I'll be wearing a camelbak even on the shorter runs now, plus when I'm on the treadmill I always have water as well...sometimes you can get dehydrated just getting to the gym!