Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Thankfully Holiday is Over!

Daily Quote: "do or do not, there is no try" - yoda



I'm now back on schedule! My wife had Memorial Day off and didn't run yesterday as to spend more quality time with her. Celebrated the holiday by purchasing the movie, "Apocalypse Now," to watch before I left for work (Yup, it seems I work EVERY holiday). Surprisingly, my wife had never seen the movie!! The DVD has both versions, the original 1979 version and the newer, "Apocalypse Now Redux" 2001 version. It was weird seeing the much younger actors of Martin Sheen, Harrison Ford, Robert Duvall, Scott Glenn, Dennis Hopper, and an almost unrecognizable skinny Laurence Fishburne! Wife enjoyed the movie.

Today is my first medium-long run since training for the Boston Marathon this year.

9:30 a.m. 11 miles. Time, 1:39 Overall Pace, 9:02 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road that partially traverses the "Zappos Las Vegas Marathon" route. Partly Cloudy, 68-72 degrees, Humidity 26%, Wind ENE at 5 mph. Average heart rate: 147 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 163 bpm. Started very slowly for the first two miles and then gradually picked up steam, by the end of my run I was running around 8:40 minute miles. I didn't plan on running that fast, I just felt the need for speed. Felt good to run hard after a lazy three days of barely training, nevertheless afterwards I gently chastized myself for pushing too hard during a medium-long run when I'm building a base...Mixing speed and adding distance at the same time is a good way to overtrain, or worse, get an injury.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Hey Bruce,

Sounds like your running is getting back to normal. I need to get off my duff after my forced layoff from running during this holiday and get back to the training.

Happy trails!