"We had done this thing we had set out to do, and instead of becoming
larger because of the experience, we became smaller, more humble more
aware of how little we know: about the world in general, about ourselves specifically."
- Richard Benyo in "The Death Valley 300."
I have joined the "Fried Quads Forum Site" as to learn more about ultra running. Ultra-marathons are considered a fringe sport even to those who run marathons, therefore, can't find too much material on training for my first ultra race. I hope that my haunting the "Fried Quads" site I'll gleam as much as I can on training and racing ultra-marathons, indeed, I'll be asking many questions at that forum site as I prepare for my new adventure...running an ultra-marathon race, which will be the "2009 Labor of Love 50k" next April 25th!
Awoke late for today's run, the temperature was already in the mid 90's, hence I ran on the gym's treadmill. I need to get to bed earlier rather than playing speed chess on the Internet until the early morning hours!!!
11:45 a.m. General Aerobic Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set on a 1% grade. 8 miles. Time, 1:14. Ran all eight miles at 6.5 mph, which is a 9:14 minute per mile pace. Average Heart Rate: 149 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 155 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Won't be too long before all my runs will be on the treadmill due to Vegas hot summer months. During my run I listened to "Phil Collins Greatest Hits" CD on my Sony Sports CD Player that helped relieve some of the boredom of the dreadmill. Someday I should purchase a MP3 or IPOD, but for now my CD player works fine.

2 comments:
Ipod -- before it was stolen, I loved my Ipod Nano. Wore it running with the arm band.
After it was stolen, I bought the much smaller Ipod Shuffle which is much better for running as it the size of your thumb and can be easily clipped to your shorts.
In practice, I found I didn't fully utilize all the Nano functions of video, etc. Instead, I was merely storing cd's and creating my own running playlist from such. In the end, I store a variety of running playlist on my computer and down load them onto the Shuffle. I 've really been enjoying the PodRunner site which is linked to through my webpage. Here, are playlists for athletes which are geared to a particular type of workout and beats per minute.
Lastly, it had been about 4 years since I ran with music/headphones. Now, on my road runs, I won't go without music. Trail runs, I need to be alert for wildlife and mountain bikers.
Howdy Bob! Thanks for all the tips on your Ipod and will look for my own Ipod this Summer during the height of my treadmill running. If I have any questions regarding an Ipod I won't fail to ask you! I rarely run with music on the roads as to be fully aware of my surrounding and to run as closely to race conditions as possible. I'm looking forward to running my first ultra-trail race next year and hope to practice on trails this Summer.
Post a Comment