Daily Quote: "As a coach, I don't know I would ever race an athlete in a 10k a few weeks after a marathon, but that doesn't mean one couldn't do it because you have the aerobic fitness to do it. I'm a little bit more true Lydiard in my thinking, and I believe in cycling your training and that when you come to the end of a big peak for a marathon, it's time to take a break and start again with a new cycle. But with 5k and 10k training, I'm always of the belief of once you get fit and are racing well, don't stop racing. If you have a peak race on your calendar and you planned on that being your last race, if you run well, don't make it your last race. Just keep racing until it doesn't go well." --Pete Rea, Head Coach at the ZAP Fitness post-collegiate training facility in Blowing Rock, NC.
Tonight our bowling team, "One Wonders," has finished the season on the Bishop Gorman Bowling League in fourth place! We have shown tremendous improvement this season as last year we finished in twelfth place. Every member of the "One Wonders" team has improved their bowling averages. The beginning of the season my average was 132 and now it's 164! The Bishop Gorman League doesn't start again until August 24th and I hope to even be better by practicing at least twice a week this summer. Last week bought the book, "Bowling 200+, Winning Strategies to Up Your Average and Improve Your Game," by Mike Aulby and Dave Ferraro, which I hope helps me improve my bowling technique this year.
This morning I finished my longest run since the marathon. 9:30 a.m., 8 miles. Time, 1:19, a easy pace of 9:57 minute miles. Average heart rate: 142 bpm. Cardiac Drift 151 bpm. (Note my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) I was happy I brought a small bottle of water as I was parched during the middle miles, I'll be carry water during every road run as temperatures in Las Vegas is rising rapidly; partly cloudy, 74-77 degrees with wind north at 7 mph. I felt no aches nor pain and I'll continue my marathon recovery slowly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
With the increased temperatures, I can't imagine running in Vegas during the Summer. Do you head indoors or start running around 4 a.m. like some of the Phoenix running groups that I've read about.
Howdy Bob!
I work as a Checker Cab driver and my work hours are 12 hours long, from 2:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., therefore, it's impractical for me to run on the roads during the early morning hours. When the temperatures start reaching 100 degrees in Vegas I'll begin running the treadmill at my local 24-Hour Fitness Club.
Post a Comment