Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Faster 18-Miler

Daily Quote: "I'm usually in the top 5 percent of my age category. Once you're over 50, there aren't many Kenyans and Ethiopians in your group." --RICHARD OPSAHL, 73, ON HIS 24TH NEW YORK CITY MARATHON

Today is my Long Run and as scheduled in the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," it'll be 18 miles with a goal pace of 8:53 minute miles. My last 18 miler was on January 30th and the goal pace was a slower 9:08 minute miles and my Garmin virtual training partner, Garfield, beat me by one minute...therefore, my other goal is to beat Garfield on the exact same course as our last struggle.

8:30 a.m. Long Run. 18 miles, Time 2:39, Pace 8:52 minute miles. Out and back from home to Martin Luther King, which mostly traverses the "Las Vegas Marathon" route. Cloudy, 60-64 degrees, wind SW at 10 mph, with a little drizzle during the last two miles. Average heart rate: 150 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 171 bpm. Note: maximum heart rate is 190 bpm. Felt very strong at the end with no pain nor soreness...nevertheless, I'm very tired and it's going to be a very long night driving my cab!

I accomplished both goals, the <8:53 minute miles AND beating Garfield by a minute. My virtual training partner has been a great help in forcing me to keep pace, without this tool I doubt I could accomplish my goal time so closely.

No comments: