Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Windy Long Run

Daily Quote: "The gun goes off and everything changes...the world changes...and nothing else really matters." -- Patti Sue Plumer, U.S. Olympian.

Decided this week my Long Run will be outside for a change, of course the day I run outside we get strong winds of 20-25 mph, with gusts up to 35 mph! Partly cloudy, with the temperature at the start being 37 degrees ending in 44 degrees.

Long Run. 18 miles, Time 2:44, Pace 9:09 minute miles. Out and back from home to Martin Luther King, which mostly traverses the "Las Vegas Marathon" route. Average heart rate: 149 bpm. Cardicac Drift: 170 bpm. Note: maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.

I set my Garmin "Forerunner 305" Virtual Training partner (nickname: "Garfield") for a 9:08 minute pace as scheduled in the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster." The first half of my run went well as the wind was at my back and at the trunaround I was a comfortable four minutes ahead of Garfield. The last half was a struggle, I managed to stay ahead of Garfield until the 15th mile, then he gradually passed me, I fought back and the last three miles we traded the lead several times, but eventually he beat me by a measly one minute. Next week's 20 miler I'll teach Garfield a lesson!!

No comments: