Friday, February 15, 2008

Computer Crash

Daily Quote: "Do you have a sledgehammer or a brick handy ?" — Top thing you don't want to hear from Tech Support.

I'm back online!!!

Wednesday morning after my Long Run attempted to update my blog, but due to high winds I lost power and the computer crashed. I couldn't get back online as my Microsoft Windows was scrambled and eventually had to reinstall everything. I lost all my favorite saved links, addresses, photos and subscribed blogs. It's going to take time to retrieve all this lost information. Thankfully, those who have responded to my blog I'll be able to restore those addresses soon.

Bare with me as I update this blog.

Wednesday, Long Run: This week is a cut-back Long Run of only 13 miles. 9:00 a.m., out and back from Torrey Pines Road, which partly traverses the "Zappos Las Vegas Marathon." I set my virtual training partner, Garfield, for a 8:38 minute miles. I didn't realize how horrid the weather...40 degrees with wind gusts of 60+ mph!! I was no match for Garfield and he beat me by six minutes. Today I would have been better off to run on the treadmill as sucking the dust and dirt was undoubtedly unhealthy.

Thursday, Cross-Training: Early Morning, after work, 2:15 a.m. Warm-up: 10 minutes on rowing machine. Weight Circuit Training. Cool-down: 10 minutes on elliptical. Increased weights on chest machine by five pounds.
Later Morning, after sleeping seven hours, 11:00 a.m. Today's cross-training workout is called, "Cross-Training Workout #2, Mode 1," and trained exactly stated in the book, "Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster:"
Stationary cycling (45 Minutes)
Workout: 10 minutes easy spinning as a warm-up, alternate resistance between PE level of 4 (Level 4 is Hard. Noticeable increase in breathing; difficult to talk in full sentences.) for 1 minutes with 4 minutes of fast spinning at a PE level of 1 (Level 1 is Easy. No increase in breathing rate; can go all day.) Repeat this six times. Finish with 5 minutes easy as a cool-down.

Friday, Intervals: 8:30 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade. Warm-up, 2 miles at 10 minute miles. Intervals 6x800m at 3:23 minutes. Jog interval, 1:30 minutes. Cool-down: 1 10-minute mile. Average heart rate: 167 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 183 bpm. Tough workout! Both ankles are a little sore, but otherwise body feels o.k.

5 comments:

Allen said...

Sorry to hear about your computer problems. Do you have a UPS protecting your computer?

robison52 said...

Howdy Allen, what's a UPS? I do have a spike protector and have Norton AntiVirus, but that's about it. Fortunately, my Microsoft Windows XP immediately shut the computer down before the hard drive became fried, but it scrambled all the software...had to reinstall everything, which was a big pain...lost addresses, photos, favorite lists, feeds, etc., nothing that can't be replaced.

Allen said...

Bruce, UPS is uninterruptible power supply that provides a battery backup for your source of power. Most power interruptions are of short duration, and with a UPS your computer will still continue to operate. However, if the power outage is quite long, the battery will run down, and your system will crash. However, most UPS can be hooked up to automatically shut down your computer before the crash occurs.

Here is a link about UPS. Wikipedia also has a page on UPS. UPS also provide good filtering, spike protection, etc. They cost about $100 but are well worth it.

robison52 said...

Thanks for the info Allen!! Will look for a UPS at the local computer store SOON!

Allen said...

Keep in mind that the GPS will only extend the operation of your computer for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the GPS you get. The GPS is intended to give you battery backup so short-duration power outages don't affect your computer, or enough time to shut the computer down correctly.

If the power goes out and you are home, you have time to shut it down. If you are gone when the power goes down, then your wife can shut the computer down. If both of you are gone, then your computer will crash when the battery is used up. Although, most GPS can be connected to your computer so the GPS can shut the computer down.

The biggest drain on the battery will be your monitor. I have the XP Power Management set to turn the monitor off after half an hour. Just hitting a key turns it back on. Also, I have no screen saver selected, since that would prevent the Power Management from turning off the monitor. When I go to bed, I manually turn the monitor off. In your case, you should do that when you go to bed and to work. With the monitor off, the GPS battery will last longer, giving you higher odds that the power will come back on before the battery runs out.