Monday, February 25, 2008

8 Weeks Until Boston

Daily Quote: "If you're going through hell, keep going." --Winston Churchill

Today's workout is a Tempo run as scheduled in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book, under Boston Marathon Qualifying Program, 3:41, pg 235 (3:40 Boston Marathon goal training schedule).

9:00 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 mile run: 1 miles easy, 4 miles at 7:50 minute mile pace, 1 mile easy. Average heart rate: 162 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 179 bpm. (Note: maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Slower than last week's tempo speed of 7:35 pace for three miles, but an additional mile longer. Felt very strong and had no pain nor soreness during or after the run.

These speed sessions have me eager to run a short race soon, I'll need to search the Las Vegas Track Club site for a race around the middle or end of March.


8 WEEKS UNTIL BOSTON MARATHON REPORT: FEBRUARY 18-24, 2008

Finished eighth week of marathon training and ran only 31 miles as I'm still following the guidelines of "FIRST Training Program" as explained in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book, but rather than just doing two cross-training sessions per week I'll be cross-training every day as to promote additional weight loss.

I've lost another pound and now 173 pounds on a six foot frame. I continue to eat more healthier fare like fruits and veggies, and last week I didn't eat any red meat! Interestingly, my resolve not to eat red meat has coincided with a huge meat recall, which encourages my resolve to avoid saturated fats.

I completed three weight circuit training sessions last week. I'm now using free weights for biceps, triceps, chest and shoulders rather than the usual machine workouts, I'll continue using machines for the other muscle groupings. Last week I also incorporated pull-ups into my weight lifting sessions.

I've been sleeping very well last week...about 7-8 hours every night. One good aspect of FIRST Training is I'm able to get better sleep, something that was very difficult with high mileage training. My morning heart rates have remained low, 38-41 bpm.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Tempo Run, 6 miles.
Tuesday: Cross-Training, weight circuit training and stationary cycling.
Wednesday: Long Run, 18 miles.
Thursday: Cross-Training, weight circuit training and stationary cycling.
Friday: Intervals, 7 miles.
Saturday: Cross-Training, swimming.
Sunday: Cross-Training, weight circuit training and stationary cycling.
Total Weekly Running Mileage: 31 miles.

2 comments:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Eeeeeee (that's a youthful, high pitched, enthusiastic screech for the record)

ARE YOU GETTING EXCITED YET?!
I mean, I'm getting excited just counting down the days until we can read about your success!!!

Keep up the good work! you're amazing!

robison52 said...

Thanks Tiger! Yup, I'm already excited, by the time April 21st arrives I'll explode across the starting line like a firecracker.