Monday, February 11, 2008

10 Weeks Until Boston

Daily Quote: "Some days you'll run and no matter how hard you think you're going, you'll never be quick. Then there are those days when you're lightning. No reason why." --Don Wheldon, Indianapolis 500 Champion

Today's workout is a Tempo run as scheduled in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster book," under Boston Marathon Qualifying Program, 3:40, pg 235.

10:30 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warm-up: 1 mile @ 10 minute mile, Tempo: 6 miles @ 8:05 per per mile, Cool-down: 1 mile @ 10 minute mile. Average Heart Rate: 152 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 169 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) A good strong effort with no aches nor pain, I'm bubbling over with confidence and a deep feeling of satisfaction.

10 WEEKS UNTIL BOSTON MARATHON REPORT: FEBRUARY 4-10, 2008

Finished sixth week of Boston Marathon training and ran 34 miles. I'm still following the guidelines of "FIRST Training Program" as explained in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book, but rather than just doing two cross-training sessions per week have decided to do some sort of cross-training every day as to promote additional weight loss.

I'm still 175 pounds on a six foot frame, and my body appears to be very comfortable at this weight, what Oprah's coach, Bob Greene, calls "set point." My major weakness is my weekend off, where I'm tempted with what my wife eats rather than what's best for me. For example, last weekend ate several pieces of pizza for dinner and the following day for lunch had a Whopper hamburger, Sunday night ate a large bowl of chocolate chip ice cream!! I have no problems eating healthier during the workdays in my cab as I carry a sack lunch with fruits and trail mix. I'll be exercising every day as I strive to lose more weight before Boston.

I'm still completing three weight circuit training sessions last week. I'm now using free weights for biceps, triceps, chest and shoulders rather than the usual machine workouts, I'm using machines for the other muscle groupings. I'm considering not lifting weights during my 3-week taper as to facilitate more weight loss.

I slept well most days of the week with the exception of Sunday night when I drank too much caffeine (Diet Pepsi) before bedtime. My morning heart rates have remained low, 38-41 bpm, which hasn't changed in over a month of training...I attribute this heart rate consistency to my new FIRST Training as I'm not over-stressing my body with high mileage training.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Tempo Run, 7 miles.
Tuesday: Cross-training, Weight Circuits and Stationary Cycling.
Wednesday: Long Run, 20 miles.
Thursday: Cross-training, Weight Circuits and Stationary Cycling.
Friday: Intervals, 7 miles.
Saturday: Cross-training, Swimming.
Sunday: Cross-training, Weight Circuits and Stationary Cycling.
Total Weekly Mileage: 34 miles.

3 comments:

Allen said...

Boston is getting close, Bruce. You'll have a big advantage due to the near-sea-level altitude for the race. You'll think you have a turbocharger on your feet.

robison52 said...

I didn't even consider Boston's sea-level altitude, just concerned about another possiblity that a Noreasterner will hit Boston AGAIN! I do need to emphasize the positves and disregard the negatives about my upcoming Boston Marathon adventure!

Allen said...

You have good odds that the weather will be great! A lot better odds than those you drive play the games :)