Daily Quote: "I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart." --MIKE FANELLI, FORMER COACH FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO IMPALAS.
Today I've decided to start running my Long Runs on hilly courses, and hence I ran out-and-back to Mountain Crest Park that's located near Mount Charleston's foothills. Hopefully these hills will prepare me for Boston's Newton Hills and infamous Heartbreak Hill.
I've set my Garmin Forerunner 305 virtual training partner, who I call "Garfield" for a 9:08 minute mile pace for 20 miles. Last week Garfield beat me at the same pace for 18 miles and I want revenge!
9:00 a.m. Out & Back to Mountain Crest Park. Weather is PERFECT! Partly Cloudy, 49-53 degrees with no wind!! Average heart rate: 171 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 180 bpm. Hills were tough, and Garfield lead most of the way up, but on the downhill return home was able to pass him and stay a little ahead. TIME: 3:02, 9:08 minute pace. I beat Garfield by a couple of feet, but I'm alarmed how strenuous the workout, my heart rate was much too high, hopefully I'll have time to get myself fit before April 21st!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You might try this: For a while, do hill workouts for about 20 minutes and then finish your run on a relatively flat course.
Howdy Allen! Good idea, moderation is the key and 20 minutes would do the trick! So little time to improve on hills, but don't want to get myself injured in the process.
Post a Comment