Monday, February 18, 2008

9 Weeks Until Boston

Daily Quote: "The memory of fallen soldiers and their families kept me going." --RAY GOMEZ, SPFC, AFTER COMPLETING A 6-DAY, 156-MILE RUN THROUGHT THE SAHARA

Today's workout is a Tempo run as scheduled in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster book," under Boston Marathon Qualifying Program, 3:40, pg 235.

9:00 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 mile run: 2 miles easy, 3 miles at 7:35 minute mile pace, 1 mile easy. Average heart rate: 160 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 177 bpm. (Note: maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Much faster than last week's tempo speed of 8:35 pace for six miles, but I didn't have any problems and finished with plenty of gas in the tank.

9 WEEKS UNTIL BOSTON MARATHON REPORT: FEBRUARY 11-17, 2008

Finished seventh week of marathon training and ran only 27 miles as last week was a cut-back recovery week. I'm still following the guidelines of "FIRST Training Program" as explained in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book, but rather than just doing two cross-training sessions per week I some sort of cross-training every day as to promote additional weight loss.

I'm now 174 pounds on a six foot frame and lost a whole pound since last week...a real breakthrough as my body weight was very stable at 175 pounds. I attributed the one pound loss to carrying more fruit to work and avoiding the airport's "Roach Coach." I'll continue to eat more fruits and vegetables next week.

I completed three weight circuit training sessions last week. I'm now using free weights for biceps, triceps, chest and shoulders rather than the usual machine workouts, I'll continue using machines for the other muscle groupings. This week I plan on experimenting with pull-ups, which I couldn't do when in high school.

I slept well every night last week, accomplished at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night. My morning heart rates remained low, 38-41 bpm, which has been stable for several weeks!


A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Tempo Run, 8 miles.
Tuesday: Cross-training, weight circuit training and stationary cycling.
Wednesday: Long Run, 13 miles.
Thursday: Cross-training, weight circuit training and stationary cycling.
Friday: Intervals, 6 miles.
Saturday: Cross-training, swimming.
Sunday: Cross-training, weight circuit training and stationary cycling.
Total Weekly Running Mileage: 27 miles.

1 comment:

AddictedToEndorphins said...

38 BPM!? That sounds REALLLYYY low!
Congrats on the pound of weight loss! You'll do fabulous in Boston in a few weeks!