Tuesday, October 16, 2007

More Motivation for Upcoming Marathon

Daily Quote: "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." --William Faulkner

I received an Acceptance Card in the mail today from the Boston Marathon, a follow up with my e-mail acceptance. The card is motivating me to run faster in the upcoming "2007 New Las Vegas Marathon" as it states: "Your bib number and starting corral will be determined by your qualifying time. If you improve your qualifying time, please notify our office in writing and include a copy of this postcard before March 1, 2008." How much will I need to improve as to get in the coveted Wave One? Who knows, as the card also states: "Bib numbers will be assigned and the break between Wave One and Wave Two will be determined in late March." Anyways, I now have more motivation to set another personal record this coming December!!

Today is "Doubles" when I run twice in one day.

Early AM. After work and before bedtime: Recovery Run. 6 miles. Time, 58 minutes. Overall Pace, 9:40 minute miles. 2:15 a.m. Out and back on Lanning Route. Calm night, 62 degrees with 13 mph wind. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm) Average heart rate: 141 bpm. Cardiac drift. 144 bpm. I feel so much better today, my energy level has returned and my heart rates are lower!

Later AM. After sleeping nine hours!! Recovery Run. 7 miles. Time, 1:03. Overall Pace, 9:00 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines(partly traverses the New Las Vegas Marathon route.) 11:35 a.m.!! 60 degrees, Sunny skies with 15 mph wind. Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac drift, 149 bpm. I'm ready and anxious for my Long Run tomorrow!

2 comments:

lifestudent said...

I'm new to your blog ... so first of all, congrats on the Boston qualifyer! Awesome! The real reason I am posting is to see if you have any insider tips for lv marathon spectators? I am doing Vegas and my husband is coming for support. Where should he be? Which parts of the route are "the worst". And more importantly, whats his best method to get around? I assume he has to cab it? Any advice from a runner who knows the turf would be greatly appreciated!

robison52 said...

Howdy Lifestudent!

Last year my wife attempted to watch me on top of the Tropicana
pedestrian skywalk as the racers pass underneath, she couldn't see me as I
was mixed with 16,000 other runners at the start! I wouldn't recommend watching anywhere near the starting line.

Friends were able to watch me at Torrey Pines & Alta, approximately
at the 16 mile mark as the racers were pretty spread out from there. Anywhere after Mile 14 is a good place to watch. Also, the Finish Line at the Mandalay Bay has bleachers where you can sit in comfort as you watch the racers struggle, crawl, and paw their way across the line.

Taking a cab is the best method to get around, especially on the westside of the marathon course.