Sunday, October 21, 2007

SUMMARY, WEEK 42

Daily Quote: "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want -- Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." --Don Kardong

Today is a General Aerobic Run.
10 miles. Time, 1:29. Overall Pace, 8:54 minute miles. Out and back from home to Brittney Mews. 9:30, , Sunny 57-61 degrees. Winds SW @ 18 mph with gusts of 28+ mph. Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift 151 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm.) Last two miles at marathon pace of 8:00 minute miles. I felt eager to run, my morning heart rate was a low 40 bpm, and feel that I'm fully recovered from the lingering affects of overtraining.

SUMMARY FOR WEEK OF OCTOBER 14-20, 2007

Six more weeks until the "2007 New Las Vegas Marathon." Last week was second week of 4 week training block (I will increase my mileage each week during the first three weeks and use the fourth week for recovery). I repeated the exact same workouts and 92 miles last week due to concerns I may have been suffering from overtraining as my heart rates were high and felt lethargic before my runs. I feel I'm recovered from overtraining and will attempt to increase my mileage slightly next week.

I gained two pounds last week and am now 168 pounds on a six foot frame. How frustrating, I ran 92 miles and still gained two pounds!! Needless to say I must control my diet, especially on the weekends.

Managed two weight circuit workouts last week, hopefully I'll return to three weight sessions next week. Last week didn't seem to have enough hours in the day to accomplish all my goals.

My morning heart rates have returned to a low 39-42 bpm. This is my main barometer that shows I'm recovered from overtraining. I slept well most of the days last week with the exception of Tuesday night when I only slept only five hours as I wanted to awake early for my Long Run before the temperatures became too warm. Las Vegas has been getting cooler and will return to sleeping 7-8 hours per night next week.

A short recap of last week's mileage:
Sunday: General Aerobic Run, 10 miles.
Monday: Medium Long Run, 15 miles.
Tuesday: Doubles: Early AM, 6 miles. Later AM, 7 miles.
Wednesday: Long Run, 20 miles.
Thursday: Doubles: Early AM, 6 miles. Later AM, 7 miles.
Friday: Medium Long Run + Marathon Pace, 11 miles.
Saturday: General Aerobic Run, 10 miles.
Total Mileage: 92 miles.

No comments: