Daily Quote: "Human beings are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage" --George Patton
Today I didn't bonk on my Long Run!! For those who don't run or haven't experienced bonking it's basically when a runner suddenly loses energy and fatigue sets in, usually caused when glycogen stores in the liver and muscles are depleted, resulting in a major performance drop as your legs feels like lead and you can barely move. This bonking usually occurs around 18-20 miles as that is when the usual glycogen stores are dried up. Marathon training teaches the body to adapt to learning to store more glycogen and survive on what little glycogen you have left as well as carrying water, Gatorade, and other endurance food products to help you through the race.
Early AM (2:10 a.m., after work and before bedtime): Warm up, 10 minutes on stationary cycle. Weight circuit training. Cool down, 10 minutes on elliptical. Increased weights on chest press by five pounds.
Later AM (after 5 hours of sleep)
Long Run. 20 miles. Time, 3:02. Overall pace, 9:06 minute miles. 8:30 a.m., Sunny 67-73 degrees, Winds calm, SW at 5 mph. Out and back from home to Bonanza/H St that traverses the New Las Vegas Marathon Route. Last mile at marathon pace (8:00 minute mile). Average heart rate 148 bpm. Cardiac drift 166 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm.)
Yup, not only did I NOT bonk like last week, but I finished eight minutes faster, and my last mile was at marathon pace!! I felt I could have gone even further, therefore, next Wednesday I'll attempt to run a 21-miler.
Now for my next endurance event for the day...working 12-hours as a cab driver! I'm pretty tired and it's going to be a very long night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment