Tuesday, October 30, 2007

New Balance 858

Daily Quote: “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” --Jack Handey

I was reading my new Runner's World Magazine today (December 2007), the Winter Shoe Guide, and came across the shoes I bought last month, New Balance 858. I was pleased and tickled that Runner's World awarded the NB858 the "Best Runner's Update!" The writers say:

"The 858 is built on a new last that's broader in the forefoot and more snug in the heel for a fit that accommodates more runners. New Balance put a seam-free lining in the upper to help keep blisters at bay. Additional flex grooves in the midsole make this version slightly more flexible, according to RW Shoe Lab tests, while the plastic arch support now lies below a layer of forum to smooth out the feel underfoot." (pg 109) End of Quote.

I have flat feet, but have moderate pronation, and stability shoes work well for me. I find the NB858 a little heavy, but that's expected for all the pronation devices, which will help keep me injury free. Although I bought these shoes last month, I already have 202 miles on them, they feel and look like they're brand new. I'm rotating the NB858 with ASICS-2110 that's also a stability shoe.

Early AM (after work and before bedtime): Warm up, 10 minutes on stationary cycle. Weight circuit training. Cool down, 10 minutes on elliptical. Normally this would be a "Doubles" day when I run twice in one day, but I'm now in Recovery Week and decided to run just once today.

Later AM. After sleeping eight hours. Recovery Run. 7 miles. Time, 1:05. Overall Pace, 9:17 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines (partly traverses the New Las Vegas Marathon route.) 11:00 a.m. Sunny, 74-76 degrees with no wind. Late start this morning as I spent too much time on the Internet...must stop procrastinating!

No comments: