Sunday, October 7, 2007

Reconsidering Future Tapers

Daily Quotes: "Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.” --Steve Prefontaine.

I'm reconsidering my tapering for the upcoming 2007 New Las Vegas Marathon. In the past I've followed the 3-week taper that's within Pete Pfitzinger's marathon schedules from his excellent book, "Advanced Marathoning." Last week I've read in the recent "Running Times Magazine" (November 2007, pg 39) an article by Lisa Jhung called, "Break the Taper" that recommends a TWO WEEK TAPER! Here is one comment:

"'The problem with a big cut in mileage.' says Greg McMillan, an exercise physiologist and coach of elite and recreational runners in Flagstaff, Arizona, 'is that your body gets used to being on vacation." Jack Daniels, Ph.D., puts it more bluntly: 'You can taper too much.'"

So what's the key to a successful taper??? Greg McMillan states:

Some cutback in total mileage combined with a little quality work, reducing volume by 10 to 40 percent, depending on race distance and your fatigue level. It's best to reduce volume by eliminating miles from each of your weekly runs. Do a shorter long run, fewer miles on easy days and less quality work (instead of eight 800s, run four; instead of four tempo miles, do two). Just don't cut out quality altogether: Multiple studies suggest that some fast-paced running is critical to keeping your lungs and legs sharp.

The bottom of the articles pace is a chart that states the following key workouts (Note: adding easy days according to your schedule)

14 Days Out: Reduce weekly mileage by 10 to 20 percent.

12 Days Out: 10x400 at 5-k pace, 1-minute rest.

10 Days Out: 3x2000 at 10-k pace, 2 to 3 minutes rest.

7 Days Out: Reduce mileage by another 10 to 20 percent; 12-mile run with the last 6 at race pace.

4 Days Out: 4x3 minutes at 10-k pace, 1-minute rest.

2-1 Days Out: Rest or run according to your schedule.

I'll be using the above two week taper for my upcoming marathon, if it works well, I'll use the same taper schedule for my 2008 Boston Marathon too.

Today is a General Aerobic Run.
10 miles. Time, 1:27. Overall Pace, 8.42 minute miles. Out and back from home to Brittney Mews. 7:00 a.m., , Sunny 58-62 degrees. Winds SW @ 5 mph. Average heart rate: 142 bpm. Cardiac Drift 152 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 191 bpm.) I was able to go faster with a lower heart rate this week as I didn't have to face last week's 25 mph wind gusts! I hope it isn't windy during the 2007 New Las Vegas Marathon as that would make my reaching my 3:30 goal extremely difficult.

No comments: