Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Room with a View

Daily Quote: "Show me a satisfied man--and I will show you a failure." --Thomas Edison


Checker Cab Company has approved my time off for the Salt Lake City Half Marathon! Today I made a reservation at the University Guest House, which according to the net: "Located on the Salt Lake City Marathon starting line. Mere minutes by shuttle to any spot in Salt Lake City and adjacent to the Fort Douglas TRAX Station, the spectacularly situated guesthouse offers visitors comfort and convenience at attractive rates. Easy access to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail" I'll be leaving Las Vegas early Friday morning and should be fully rested before Saturday's race start!
Today was a Recovery Run.
6 miles. Time, 56:29. Pace, 9:24 minute miles. Out and back on Lanning Route. Sunny, 60 degrees, Wind SE @ 14 mph. Comfortable run even though the wind gusts were strong...I'm getting rather used to the wind, I'll be a monster during a race with no wind! Average heart rate: 143 bpm, Cardiac Drift: 151 bpm. My alternate training shoes, Mizuno Alchemy, now has 420 miles on them, but doesn't show much wear and tear, will still retire them at 500 miles.

3 comments:

Allen said...

When you get there on Friday, you might hike up to Ensign Peak for great views of the SL valley and the GSL. About 0.86 miles round trip. An easy hike. Although, if we happen to be in an inversion, stay at your lodging and watch TV :(

http://utahpictures.com/EnsignPeak.php
http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Ensign_Peak_7160.asp

Just a short drive from the University. You can get directions when you check in.

robison52 said...

Thanks for the tip Allen, sounds like a PLAN! I probably could use an easy hike as to unwind.

Allen said...

Another way to get a warmup hike is to take the walking tour of Ft. Douglas.

http://www.facilities.utah.edu/fd/welcome/welcome.html

I turned 18 during the Korean War. Since the draft was active, I had to register, and that required me getting a physical at Ft. Douglas. I took a bus 250 miles each way to reach the fort.