Saturday, February 17, 2007

Third Annual President's Day 5k Race

Daily Quote: "Running is my meditation, mind flush, cosmic telephone, mood elevator, and spiritual communion." --Lorraine Moller.

Didn't get home from work until 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning as the cab business in Vegas was busy due to the NBA All Star crowd coming in at the airport. Went directly to bed. Seemed like forever getting to sleep as I was pretty nervous about this race; I haven't ran a 5k race since last July, but can easily remember how painful the experience.

I must have hit the snooze button as I didn't awake until 6:30 a.m., the race starts across town at 7:00 a.m.! Nevertheless, I had a whole four hours of much needed sleep. Luckily, I had all my race clothes, Garmin GPS, Polar Heart Rate Monitor, ready and waiting on the dining room table!

Make it to the race site at 6:57 a.m., with three minutes to spare. Normally I would warmup with 30 minutes of jogging and strides, but had to settle for two minutes of jumping jacks. The weather in Las Vegas is Sunny, 51 degrees with 15 mph winds and 20 mph gusts. I'm a little chilly at the starting line wearing my racing t-shirt and shorts, but no hat nor gloves, as I realize I'm going to be sweating very soon. This race is not timed by computer chips, they'll be tearing off the tab on my race bib.

Small turnout at this race, about 135 runners, all anxiously waiting for the start. I placed myself up front on the second roll of the starting line; I'm thinking I should be very conservative with my first mile as I didn't have a proper warmup, nevertheless it'll be close to 7:20 minute pace. Double checked my shoelaces as at the last 5k race my shoes came untied; I'm wearing the exact same racing shoes, ASICS DS Trainers, that I wore when I broke my half-marathon PR last August, and my marathon PR last December...I feel very confident with these "lucky" shoes!

7:00 a.m. Mile 1: The starting whistle blows and I immediately start my Garmin and then the Polar Heart Rate Monitor. The first mile is a loop around Findlay Chevrolet, which happens to be the major sponsor of this race. I was surprised to see a water stop within 1/2 mile of the start. I never take water at a 5k race as I'm running so hard that if I tried I'll just choke on it. Besides, I'm usually fully hydrated before the race. The first part of the loop is a gradual uphill, followed by a more longer steeper downhill. First mile pace: 7:11. Accumulated time: 7:11

Mile 2: The second mile is an out and back from Findlay Chevrolet to Jones Blvd that has a short, steep grade at the turnaround, which is close to the highway 215 overpass. The 20 mph wind gusts are hitting me hard during the uphill grade, but comforting myself knowing it'll be at my back during the downhill portion...kept repeating my little mantra, "I LOVE the wind!!" I hate slowing as I make it around the sharp corner of the turnaround as we then proceed back to Findlay Chevrolet. Finally back downhill with the wind at my back...I'm free falling!! I focused on passing a young girl up ahead about 30 feet, she's about 12 years old, everytime I attempted to pass her, she would speed up! She's a strong competitor!! Heart rate is 185 bpm.
Second mile pace: 6:55. Accumulated time: 14:06.

Mile 3: The third mile is doing the first mile's loop in REVERSE...thereby having to climb up a long steeper uphill. Finally passed the 12 year old and now reigning in a person who looks like he might be in my age group as he has gray hair with a pony tail...yup he's an old hippie from the 60's! He even running with a tie-dye running t-shirt!! He's a very steady runner and couldn't pass him on the uphill. I'm starting to suffer and my pace is reflecting that fact. Heart rate is 187 bpm.
Third mile pace: 7:40. Accumulated time: 21:40

Last stretch is downhill and I pulled out all the stops and not only passed the old hippie, but two other middle aged runners too. I cross the finish line panting with heart rate soaring at 191 bpm. (My maximum heart rate is 192 bpm.)
Finish time: 22:32. Average pace: 7:15. A new personal 5k record!!

I jogged a mile to cool down mile as I waited for everyone to finish and for the award ceremony. I have a 9:00 a.m. bowling lesson and was very anxious as I had to leave for the Gold Coast Bowling Alley soon. Finally the award ceremony was held and discovered I had won second place in my age division of 55-59 years old...this second place result isn't too flattering as later I discovered only TWO runners in my age division! I guess the strong winds scared off most of my competitors. As soon as I received my 2nd Place award, a framed certificate and had my award photo shot, I rushed to the bowling alley by utilizing my cab driving "skills" to reach the bowling alley with time to spare. As soon as I receive the race photos I'll post them here.

2 comments:

Allen said...

Hey, Bruce, great run! A new PB is nothing to be ashamed of. I don't know how you do it with so little sleep. You are strong.

robison52 said...

Howdy Allen! Thanks for the congrats! My wife is always amazed at how little sleep I normally have as she can easily sleep ten hours and would like to sleep MORE! I find that I'm best at 6-7 hours of sleep, but must have my mid-day 30 minute nap.