Daily Quote: "Win the race as slow as you can." --NASCAR Champion Richard Petty, recalling his father's advice. (Note: Both Petty and I ran the 2005 Las Vegas Marathon...where I beat him, luckily for me we weren't racing in cars)
Something different today from my half-marathon speed training, I decided to run intervals for my upcoming 5k race on February 17th, "The Third Annual President's Day 5k." I'm not sure what my interval paces should be as I don't race 5k's very often, in fact, the last one was the "6th Annual 4th of July 5k Blast" where I ran 22:51 (7:21 minute per mile pace) and was only 2 seconds from tying my personal best. I feel I'm stronger now and will attempt .50 mile intervals at 6:59 minute per mile pace.
Today is Speedwork
8 miles. Time, 1:08. Overall Pace, 8:30 minute per mile. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warmup: 2 miles at 6.5 mph. Intervals: 5 X .50 mile at 8.6 mph (6:59 minute per mile). Jog Intervals: .25 mile at 6.5 mph. Cooldown: 2 miles at 6.5 mph. Average heart rate: 157 bpm. Cardiac drift: 183 bpm. I planned on running six intervals, but my last jog interval my heart rate was too elevated and decided to stop at five intervals. Next week will attempt to do six intervals with same 8.6 mph pace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment