Friday, February 9, 2007

Last Speedwork

Daily Quote: "Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character." --Oscar Levant

Today is my last speedwork session before the "Third Annual President's Day 5k Race" on February 17th, therefore today I'll be pulling out all the stops!

I am getting old! Before I left for the gym, I jammed into my gym bag the wrong running shoes, my intent was to wear my race shoes, which are ASICS DS Trainer's, but mistakenly taken my new ASICS Kayanos; both shoes are white with bright red trim. I didn't discover my mistake until I started dressing at the gym. Therefore, instead of returning home, decided I'll give the Kayanos a trial by fire.

Today is an Intervals Workout.
8 miles. Time, 1:06. Overall Pace, 8:15 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% Grade. Warmup, 2 miles at 6.5 mph. Intervals, 6 x .50 mile at 8.6 mph (6:59 minutes per mile). Jog Intervals, .25 mile at 6.5 mph. Cooldown, 2 miles at 6.5 mph. Average heart rate: 160 bpm. Cardiac drift: 189 bpm!! (My maximum heart rate is 202 bpm) Struggled with negative self talk during the sixth interval.

Today's workout really kicked my butt!!! My running clothes were wringing wet, I felt a little light headed, but I was in a joyous mood! I did have the same problem as last week, I wanted to stop at 5 intervals as my heart rate during the jog intervals was too high, but rather than stopping as I did before, I forced myself to do one more repeat. That last interval, the sixth, I was really struggling and wanted to stop immediately, just kept perservering with the pain. My heart rate hasn't been this high in a long time; I wonder how much lower my heart rate would have been if I was wearing the lighter racing shoes?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Bruce!! You have a race coming up, huh? Well, good luck. Why did you run on the treadmill today instead of outside like you have been? Maybe just to keep track of speeds and stuff better?

I was reading some of your past entries, trying to catch myself up and have a question. Last week (I think) you got a blister and threw away your socks. Why? I understand needing a good pair of shoes, but what's the deal with socks?

Been trying to get outside to do some running myself. I say running, but I really mean walk/jog. I've gained 20lbs since I left vegas! No good. I am right in the middle of midterms and find that going for a jog is an excellent excuse to not study. :)

Love Jeanette

robison52 said...

Howdy Jeanette! I prefer to do speedwork on the treadmill once a week as I can control all the variables, like speed, temperature, elevation and the cushioned platform is also better than pounding my joints on the asphalt and concrete. It's also like a control experiment where every week I can see what is my true condition.

I'm still puzzled by the blister as I get them very rarely. I threw out the socks in case it's worn out and has a "hot spot" due to thinning threads getting clotted and/or fabric so thin it easily rubs against stitching inside the running shoe causing a friction blister. The blister had calloused last week and is fine now.

One of the pitfalls of college is gaining weight, especially since you're such a good cook!

Good luck on the midterms!!

Allen said...

Bruce, speaking of racing shoes. I've never used them, but I am considering getting some. My trainer shoe is the Mojo from Loco Sports. If I get a racer, I would get the Loco Bandito that is 4 oz lighter than the Mojo. How much difference would that 4 oz make? Any pros/cons about racing shoes that I should be aware of? If I get a racer, how much mileage should I have with them before the half on April 21?

robison52 said...

Howdy Allen! My racing shoes are actually a "lightweight trainer", which is more supportive than racing "flats" as they have some arch stability and a little more cushioning. Remember, my FIRST race with the lightweight trainer "ASICS DS Gel Trainers" was at the Great Salt Lake Half Marathon, when I mentioned to you how nervous I was about them being too light and may not have enough support, but they worked very well at that race...later I used the exact same trainers in the "New Las Vegas Marathon," and they worked well then too, no blisters nor injury, PLUS (needless to say) I broke four hours and accomplished a BQ!

I only put on about 50 miles before racing in the trainers, you could probably race them right out of the box as they're already flexible, but may wish to train in them a couple of times for hot spots, unusual aches and/or blisters. Our friend Wayne, from about.com, convinced me to try less supportive shoes as he read where Lydiard believed that less supportive shoes would make your feet stronger. The jury is still out on that idea! Wayne also suggested training barefoot, which I'm not brave enough to experiment yet!

Realize that lightweight trainers and/or racing flats don't have the durability to last 350-500 miles, but may only be enough support for about 200 miles....therefore train and race in them sparingly.

It's a trade off, you'll only run about 10-20 seconds per mile faster in lightweight trainers or racing flats, BUT, you could easily hurt yourself with not enough support. I'm a "warrior" and willing to take a chance for glory, but you being a "purist" might wish to stick with your regular training shoes and enjoy the races with the knowledge you'll be safer in your regular racing shoes.