Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Birthday!

Daily Quote: "Sports do not build character, they reveal it." --Heywood Hale Broun

Today I'm 55 years old and now in a new running age category of 55-59 years old! I've already set some vigorous personal goals for this year and have the good chance of winning some age group awards too! Funny how running races has me looking forward to getting older...I have only FIVE years before I reach another age category!

Appears my wife wants me to have more than just running goals as for my birthday she has bought me a DVD called "Essential Keys to Better Bowling," AND five personal bowling lessons from a professional bowler at the Gold Coast Bowling Alley, plus permission to purchase a new bowling ball (my bowling ball is 17 years old and looks very similar to Fred Flintstone's bowling rock)! My wife and I have been on the Bishop Gorman Bowling League for two years now, which meets on Sunday nights; this year my bowling average has been stuck at 135 average. I've never had personal bowling lessons before, undoubtedly the pro-bowler will help me with my bowling technique. I'm going to be a very busy dude with increasing my running mileage, perfecting my chessplaying by developing a new system for Black in the French Defense, AND improving my bowling average!!

Today is a Medium Long Run.
11 miles. Time, 1:44. Pace, 9:27 minutes per mile. Out and back on Lindell Route. Sunny, 60 degrees, Wind SW @ 4 mph. Average heart rate: 142 bpm, Cardiac drift: 149 bpm. Once my General Aerobic Runs mileage goes beyond ten miles, the run then becomes a Medium Long Run; according to the book, "Advanced Marathoning:"

"A Medium Long run is any run of 11 to 16 miles. Medium-long runs reinforce the physiological benefits of your long runs. To gain the greatest physiological benefits, the pace for these runs should be similar to the pace for long runs." End of Quote.

Last Monday my Long Run was at a 9:42 minutes per mile pace, but today my Medium-Long Run was at a 9:27 minutes per mile pace, hence I really need to pick up my pace for the Long Run next week as it's too casual and not in the zone. Eventually I'll be adding more half-marathon paces at the end of both Long Runs and Medium-Long Runs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! Thats definately a good thing, looking forward to aging:)

It sounds like you've got a full plate this year with your running and bowling AND chess playing!!

Have a great year and look forward to many more!!

Nat said...

Happy Birthday! A marathonor and a bowler. Wow.

I still think of 10 miles as a mid length. Personally, I prefer to use time guidelines.
As in:
--Under an hour is short run
--1-2 hour midlength
--2+ hr long run. (Though really it is more like 2.5+ is the long run since that usually is about 17 miles.)
And as far as pace goes I typically follow this plan:
--short runs --under marthon pace usually around 10k pace--sometimes 5k pace for really short runs
--mid-length--marathon pace to up to 30 sec slower
--long run at 30 sec to minute 15 slower than marathon pace.

As if said before I think Am guidelines are too hard. I like success.

robison52 said...

Howdy Nat!
True, Advanced Marathoning guidelines are too hard, maybe that's why they call it "Advanced" as it really isn't mean't for us mere mortals? Anyway, all training schedules should be adjusted to what your body is telling you...if you need a rest and/or run slower than definitely do so. Many runners prefer going by time, but I'm so goal oriented and too competitive for my own good that I still prefer going bym mileage.

Tall Girl Running said...

Bruce,

I'm a little late, but Happy Birthday from me as well! You've been an incredible inspiration to me; so much so that during times when I'm struggling in my runs, I think to myself, "Just run like Bruce".

I hope you enjoyed some serious VIP Treatment on your day!