Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Remembering To Have Fun

Daily Quote: "It is a happy talent to know how to play." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today was another General Aerobic Run, but with an important twist, I did several "fartleks" (word meaning "speed play" in Swedish) where I added several quick sprints between telephone posts, made a daily grind run more fun.

9 miles. Run's Time, 1:25. Pace, 9:20 minute miles. Out & Back on Lindell Route. Cold, Sunny, 28 degrees, Wind NE @ 6 mph. Average Heart Rate: 145 bpm, Cardiac Drift: 153 bpm. I'm adjusting well to the cold weather, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming weekend's 50 degree weather.

I felt some time pressure today as I had several chores and a visit to the U.S. Post Office to mail a large package for my wife...the waiting lines are ridiculous! Not enough hours in the day!!

4 comments:

Nat said...

Ugh the PO . . . that the bank, the grocery store and the gas station are the bain of my existence. PO by far is the worst.

How are you feeling? Fully recovered?

robison52 said...

Howdy Nat! I'm fully recovered, no aches nor pains, just slowly adding on the base mileage for the Salt Lake Half Marathon in April. I'm may race a couple of 5k races before then as speedwork.

Nat said...

I always think about doing a 5k race but it just isn't worth getting up early to run 3 miles IMO. I am considering a 5k in a few weeks that is local and running home from it(15 or so miles) and making it a long run with speed work. Depends how cold it is going to be that day. Do you think that is obnoxious?I'd run to the race but then I would have to get up even earlier.

robison52 said...

Howdy Nat! Yes, the early morning 5k starting times are a pain...especially when you drive a cab until 2:00 a.m. on Saturday morning leaving you with less than 4 hours of sleep. Naw, I don't consider using the 5k race as middle speed training within a longer run as obnoxious, just a fellow CRAZY runner after my own heart! :)